Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #61
MarkGraves98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
I have to admit he has a point, your sweep has some mistakes in it, and some timing errors, I'd recommend practicing your sweeping and not getting angry when people question your technique, it's valid, you need to improve, and I'd recommend practicing all kinds of sweeps properly, not just three string patterns, I've actually worked in Hardcore before, and a lot of bands use that exact same sweep at the exact same speed, if you practiced correctly and practiced all kinds of sweeps, in two or three years you could be blowing doors off, you just need to get rid of the attitude and actually listen to feedback.

i completely understand but he could of been a little nicer about it not think?
MarkGraves98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #62
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraves98
i completely understand but he could of been a little nicer about it not think?

Not at all, in the music business, people aren't going to sugarcoat it, an A&R guy won't say 'Ah, he's onto something, it's just he needs to improve on this and that and we might be able to salvage something', he'll say 'Shit, onto the next one.' You need a thick skin, and besides, if you know someone thinks you're terrible, that's extra incentive to prove them wrong.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

You just need to get used to people in MT. People like Hail tend to say things pretty harshly. But usually what they say is right. You just need to get used to it and the comments won't feel that harsh any more.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #64
:-D
hi

well in light of the rest of this thread, i'll offer some advice because you remind me of a friend of mine who became so unbearable my roommate and i would hide our amps and guitars whenever he came over; played the exact same kind of music in the exact same way, labeled himself 28 sorts of musical titles none of which he could fulfill

the fact that you've played something a couple times or "produced" a song somewhere doesn't make you some multi-instrumentalist and producer in the same way that my making breakfast and shaving this morning don't make me a guitarist/chef/barber

spend more time looking up information and listening to feedback and less time trying to dabble in all sorts of things without serious focus and you'll see much better results, it may be tempting to tell girls at parties that you're a one-man band capable of producing his own album, but when that's your introduction here people are going to expect you to be amazing or (as is true for most people here) expect that you're mindlessly talking yourself up

lose the labels and spend your effort elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #65
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Ts called himself w, x, y and z and that's why he's being shat on???

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #66
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz

i admit that smiley went a little overboard. i might have done the same thing. i feel the same way he does -- only i don't really vocalize it because there's no way to say it without it being an attack. i'm known for having a sharp tongue, but i debate, not attack.

but smiley is right. there's a lot more to it, and that sort of attitude very often leads to complacency. and it's clear that TS is only at the very beginning of his journey. it's only detrimental to him to think that way.

besides, i can tell from his attitude and his submission that he needs quite a bit of work.

maybe he'll learn that he's not very good at what he does just yet, and that he's got a lot of work to do (and that it can be done).

or he'll take it as an insult, and remain a sloppy player and a poor musician for the rest of his life -- i notice that's actually quite a popular choice these days.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #67
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz

my post hardly constitutes "shitting on" him or attacking him in some way, if i intended to shit on him you'd know it

as i pointed out, i see many of the same qualities that a person i know in real life possesses, and am trying to talk him away from turning into that via a series of meaningless labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #68
Hail
kill both bass players

i'm just being mean because i wish people were mean to me when i thought i was the shit at 14 instead of being nice and being like 'oh, yeah, dude, you can sweep. uh. good job.'

it's not like it's unwarranted, your ego is never gonna be the one signing your paychecks
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #69
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Y'know, not to divert attention from the beating the OP is taking, but I listened to his track and thought it sounded better than most of the stuff I've done. I also play a bunch of instruments and have technically been at it longer than he has. So... is the only difference that I've never actually said I was the shit, or should I probably be thankful that I somehow avoided a similar thrashing when I first showed up?

I mean, srsly. I'm going to be releasing my first EP in the near future. If his music is terrible, I'm definitely bound for derision on a Rebecca Black-level scale.

Not intending a hijack, here. Just sayin'.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #70
MarkGraves98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i'm just being mean because i wish people were mean to me when i thought i was the shit at 14 instead of being nice and being like 'oh, yeah, dude, you can sweep. uh. good job.'

it's not like it's unwarranted, your ego is never gonna be the one signing your paychecks

ok i understand now sorry for be4 dude
MarkGraves98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #71
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

This is so true. Everyone kept telling me how good I was so I developed an ego when I was around 16. It didn't help that my teacher was terrified at telling his students they messed up(he was a really bad teacher). I finally realized, hey, I suck and I need to fix it. So, it's been just this past year I've developed proper vibrato technique and bending notes into pitch out of 5 or 6 years of playing guitar.

TS, study as much as you can and practice correctly as much as you can and write as much as you can.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #72
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Yep I think we were all there at some point. You step back and go "hey this sounds like crap, I play out of time, can't bend to pitch, picking is too hard and not clean, I was so focussed on getting fast that it sounds like a jumbled mess".

And usually what happens to change your ways is a drunk walks up to you in a bar and tells you it sounds like crap, or you could fail an audition because you're crap.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #73
Usernames sucks

When you tune down a guitar, myself and most pepole would call it the names in standard tuning. For example tuned down a half step, i just call the lowest string e, but it sounds like eb.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: