Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
XxIRONxMAIDENxX

Question Broken Truss Rod?

I realized I probably could have looked up a past thread about this but felt lazy and just made a new one figuring it's probably an easy enough question. I'm looking into buying a B-stock Agile Intrepid 8-string which has a double truss rod. The truss rod on the side of the bass strings is broken. How bad is this? Would it need replacing and if so is it even worth buying? Thanks, sorry for my lack of knowledge about this stuff.
XxIRONxMAIDENxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxIRONxMAIDENxX
I realized I probably could have looked up a past thread about this but felt lazy and just made a new one figuring it's probably an easy enough question. I'm looking into buying a B-stock Agile Intrepid 8-string which has a double truss rod. The truss rod on the side of the bass strings is broken. How bad is this? Would it need replacing and if so is it even worth buying? Thanks, sorry for my lack of knowledge about this stuff.

It's not worth buying. There is another B-stock agile for the same price that only has a small dent, check it out.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
XxIRONxMAIDENxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
It's not worth buying. There is another B-stock agile for the same price that only has a small dent, check it out.

Yeaaa I saw that. Looked kinda ugly in the picture though. I hate to say looks matter but I'm about to join a touring band that plays 8s so i need something that looks good on stage xD
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Roc8995

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Replacing a truss rod is no small feat and a broken rod on an 8-string is going to get ugly in a hurry.

No, I don't think it would be playable long-term without a fix. A truss rod repair is going to be far too expensive to be worth it on this guitar. If you want to repair a truss rod it might be a decent way to learn how, but as a viable instrument, economically and structurally it's a really bad idea.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Yeaaa I saw that. Looked kinda ugly in the picture though. I hate to say looks matter but I'm about to join a touring band that plays 8s so i need something that looks good on stage xD

Really? It's just natural mahogany and maple though.

You'd be better off just buying a used 8 string if you can't spend more. You might even be better off going used if you can find a Schecter or something with EMGs or Blackouts already in it.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
XxIRONxMAIDENxX

Quote:
Really? It's just natural mahogany and maple though.

You'd be better off just buying a used 8 string if you can't spend more. You might even be better off going used if you can find a Schecter or something with EMGs or Blackouts already in it.

I don't know it just looks bad in the picture, I'm trying to find a better one. It would probably look better with EMGs in it but im looking on the GC used website too and nothing really pops up around the $400-500 range :\
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I don't know it just looks bad in the picture, I'm trying to find a better one. It would probably look better with EMGs in it but im looking on the GC used website too and nothing really pops up around the $400-500 range :\

pics

What is your budget, and where do you live?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
lemurflames
Ronnie

Shouldn't be too much trouble to get someone to repaint the Agile for you. You're really not going to beat that guitar at $400.

But if you really don't want it, we can't force it on you. Some other lucky guy should buy it.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
XxIRONxMAIDENxX

Quote:
pics

What is your budget, and where do you live?

I live in New Jersey. My budget is $500 but I could stretch up to 600 if need be. I'm really short on cash because one of my guitars was just destroyed in a flood at my school during Hurricane sandy and they didn't have flood insurance even though it's close to the hudson river so I couldn't get any money for it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I live in New Jersey. My budget is $500 but I could stretch up to 600 if need be. I'm really short on cash because one of my guitars was just destroyed in a flood at my school during Hurricane sandy and they didn't have flood insurance even though it's close to the hudson river so I couldn't get any money for it.

Well, you could get that guitar, scuff sand it with 220, and shoot some flat paint spray paint over it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=542726
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
thehikingdude

Curious, why does the band require that you play a 8-string?
thehikingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehikingdude
Curious, why does the band require that you play a 8-string?

+1

most people think it will just be more brootal. in reality it leaves a gap in sound if played primarily on the low strings. the bass has to tune down too, and then there is a hole in some of the guitar parts.

i can see going to B std on a 7 or baritone but Fi s just too low IMO.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
thisd00d

I bought that intrepid today, rondo dropped price to 359. Plan to replace rod after christmas
thisd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisd00d
I bought that intrepid today, rondo dropped price to 359. Plan to replace rod after christmas

hopefully you know what you are getting into. i doubt you do though.

send it back and get one that is fully functional or a paint blemish.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #15
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisd00d

Wow, that was a terrible idea. How do you plan to replace the rod? Do you have some method besides removing the fretboard?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
lemurflames
Ronnie

Welp. You bought something you can't fully utilize. Even if it was magically fixed. You ****ed up.

A waste of $359. That was almost enough to get an RG8. RIP this guy's $359.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: