User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunmerc
If you aren't satisfied with the employee, shop somewhere else. If someone wasn't happy with my service or my knowledge on a product, I would fully expect them to shop elsewhere. That being said, if I couldn't bullshit my way through a sale, I would ask for help.

You cannot afford to have that attitude when you're trying to run a business. You need to give people a reason to not shop anywhere else. As an employee that serves customers, you are a representation of the company and it's services. It's your obligation to know what your company serves.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-03-2014 at 11:42 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_lewis
Do yourself a favor and don't pursue a career in business. "If you aren't satisfied with the employee shop somewhere else". What kind of attitude is that for an employee of a music store or any retail store for that matter.
As an employee it's your responsibility to ensure you are providing excellent customer service which means knowing your product or getting another employee who knows more about a particular product when asked by a prospective customer.

I'm pursuing a career in music and talking about how I was in the past, but thanks for the advice on how to live my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
You cannot afford to have that attitude when you're trying to run a business. You need to give people a reason to not shop anywhere else. As an employee that serves customers, you are a representation of the company and it's services. It's your obligation to know what your company serves.

I'm not going to be so full of myself that I presume to know everything, so if someone else knows better, I'd rather they go and get knowledgeable help. They get better service that way.

For the record, 90% of the time at my current job, that's what ends up happening anyway, because legally speaking I cannot recommend/sell 90% of the products in my store (I work for CVS). I am pretty much obligated to say "Well I don't really know, but let me direct you to (person) who does."

If someone isn't satisfied with my service quality these days, more often than not they were trying to cheat me in a sale and I told them no. I would rather they cheat someone else every single time. In the past at the music store, more often than not if I couldn't bullshit someone, I would ask a teacher or another employee to help or I would send them to a different location within the company.

Bullshitting customers comes from the amount of pressure you are in a music store. I was fortunate enough to get paid an hourly wage in addition to the 1-4% commission I got, but most stores don't work like that. Even in my store, I was under huge pressure to meet impossibly high sales goals, with a boss that actively disliked me. If I don't "bullshit" someone, I get in trouble.

The fact that in those cases I would rather people go elsewhere is a sign that I would rather they get quality service from someone knowledgeable on the topic vs me who would bullshit you to keep my job. Good for business? No. Noble? Probably a little bit.
Until I spray the pesticide..."

One of the top UGers you'd most like to meet in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangels
Shotgun gon' beat dimebag
Shotgunmerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

i would slaughter them and pillage their family's home.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Let him do his job because odds are, if he's in a music store, he needs that sale to eat.

You will look like a jackass if you be that guy. Alternatively, just apply for a job there if you feel that knowledgeable and need a part time job.

Source: former music store employee

Technically, it's a salesmen's job to know enough about the products being sold to dispense CORRECT information. So...the whole "he needs that sale to eat" line is bullshit.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:
I'm not going to be so full of myself that I presume to know everything, so if someone else knows better, I'd rather they go and get knowledgeable help. They get better service that way.

For the record, 90% of the time at my current job, that's what ends up happening anyway, because legally speaking I cannot recommend/sell 90% of the products in my store (I work for CVS). I am pretty much obligated to say "Well I don't really know, but let me direct you to (person) who does."

If someone isn't satisfied with my service quality these days, more often than not they were trying to cheat me in a sale and I told them no. I would rather they cheat someone else every single time. In the past at the music store, more often than not if I couldn't bullshit someone, I would ask a teacher or another employee to help or I would send them to a different location within the company.

Bullshitting customers comes from the amount of pressure you are in a music store. I was fortunate enough to get paid an hourly wage in addition to the 1-4% commission I got, but most stores don't work like that. Even in my store, I was under huge pressure to meet impossibly high sales goals, with a boss that actively disliked me. If I don't "bullshit" someone, I get in trouble.

The fact that in those cases I would rather people go elsewhere is a sign that I would rather they get quality service from someone knowledgeable on the topic vs me who would bullshit you to keep my job. Good for business? No. Noble? Probably a little bit.

Why not ask your superiors to set a more realistic sales target, such that you don't have to bullshit your customers out of desperation to sell or get fired?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

If its to annother customer I call them on it. If they are smug to me I go tell a manager, I know the guitar, amp and pedal section better all of the employees at my gc combined There was one I would give a break to because she at least tried to learn all the stuff there and was really hot
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
Eastwinn
entscheidungsproblem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I work at a music store. I'm another two semesters away from my degree. Once I get it I'm leaving music retail and never coming back. It's partly the industry, but mostly the customers. I don't know why guitarists are so damn competitive, but everyone wants to get in some kind of show-off with me about how much they know. It's stupid.

yeah well i'm one third of a semester away from my musicology degree (also a phd in guitar wank) and let me tell you that you may think you know shit but it's all dunning-booger effect and you haven't learned enough to know that you're really clueless. trust me when i say that some metal strings vibrating around a magnet is not just basic electromagnetism, you must consider the quantum effects of my vibrato technique SQIDDLY DIDDLY DIDDLY okay back off let me buy this metallica tab book hey btw do i hit cancel for credit?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #28
Bladez22
(►.◄)

Quote:
Why not ask your superiors to set a more realistic sales target, such that you don't have to bullshit your customers out of desperation to sell or get fired?

That'll go down great lol

"hey boss, think maybe your goals are a little unrealistic, could you lower then a little"

"nope, question me again and you're fired"

Unless the guy was downright lying to another customer, or making up extortionate prices I wouldn't say or do anything. I might decide to shop somewhere else, and I'll think the sales guy is a bit out of order for doing it. It really does depend what you mean by "misinformation" though, do you mean the guy is talking up an amp, an expensive one to get a sale, when that amp actually sucks balls?

If he was doing something like that to me, then I'd say something like "I've actually heard different things than that, I've read reviews and have talked to a few people that have said the opposite." or something like that, something not aggressive, but lets the guy know I'm not clueless. If they're being polite then I'll always be polite back, but I always research whatever I'm looking to buy first, and will have checked out a load of different stuff online before even stepping foot inside a shop. Same goes for video games, and when I was still into it, skateboarding
Bladez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:

"hey boss, think maybe your goals are a little unrealistic, could you lower then a little"

Unless the guy was downright lying to another customer, or making up extortionate prices I wouldn't say or do anything. I might decide to shop somewhere else, and I'll think the sales guy is a bit out of order for doing it. It really does depend what you mean by "misinformation" though, do you mean the guy is talking up an amp, an expensive one to get a sale, when that amp actually sucks balls?

If he was doing something like that to me, then I'd say something like "I've actually heard different things than that, I've read reviews and have talked to a few people that have said the opposite." or something like that, something not aggressive, but lets the guy know I'm not clueless. If they're being polite then I'll always be polite back, but I always research whatever I'm looking to buy first, and will have checked out a load of different stuff online before even stepping foot inside a shop. Same goes for video games, and when I was still into it, skateboarding

This, although I'll usually play clueless whilst mentioning it.

If they're aggressive, unwilling to acknowledge what i've said or rude etc then I just shop somewhere else.

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #30
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:

I've worked with people who have acknowledged that the goals they've set for me are unrealistic, so they have been changed. It depends on the employer. Not all employers are insufferable jerks.
Quote:

A large majority of customers who go to a music store are complete beginners. They don't know what to research, and where to research it. They just go down to the music store and form their opinion from said experience. In that situation, there is no way for them to know if they're being conned.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-03-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #31
Bladez22
(►.◄)

Quote:
I've worked with people who have acknowledged that the goals they've set for me are unrealistic, so they have been changed. It depends on the employer. Not all employers are insufferable jerks.

Some people are not that lucky, bosses in retail/customer service are the worst and

Quote:
A large majority of customers who go to a music store are complete beginners. They don't know what to research, and where to research it. They just go down to the music store and form their opinion from said experience. In that situation, there is no way for them to know if they're being conned.

A beginner shouldn't be dropping a lot of money, if they go out and buy a brand new Fender and Marshall amp because a salesperson recommended them, then that's kinda their problem. As for buying shitty gear, if its cheaper than the better ones then I see no problem really, a beginner doesn't need great stuff as they're likely to quit a few months later anyway. And if they're seriously looking into it then they really should do a little bit of background reading first. I wouldn't walk into a ski shop and buy a load of stuff without reading up on skiing and basic gear first

And at the end of the day, the stuff in the shop is there to be sold, and it is that person's job to try and get it sold. The fact that its even in the shop means that it must be at least halfway decent, or else the shop wouldn't stock it. I dunno if that's true for the bigger chain stores, but all the music shops I've been to have had a fairly high standard of stuff
Bladez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:
A beginner shouldn't be dropping a lot of money,

What might not be a lot of money to you might be a lot to them.

But in my opinion, I don't think there should be a limit as to how much a person wants to spend. It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it. Buying cheap gear because you're worried about losing interest in the hobby and losing a load of money is a false economy anyway. If you buy a shit guitar, it'll really hamper your progress as a musician. It ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Quote:
if they go out and buy a brand new Fender and Marshall amp because a salesperson recommended them, then that's kinda their problem. As for buying shitty gear, if its cheaper than the better ones then I see no problem really, a beginner doesn't need great stuff as they're likely to quit a few months later anyway. And if they're seriously looking into it then they really should do a little bit of background reading first. I wouldn't walk into a ski shop and buy a load of stuff without reading up on skiing and basic gear first

Sure. But trapping a consumer into getting a shitty deal by taking advantage of their inexperience isn't a very good practice either, it's hardly justified. And Skiing is incomparable to guitar in this context because the worst that can happen with guitar is getting a shitty deal and quitting the hobby. The worst that can happen with skiing is getting killed in a skiing accident. The consequence of one's ignorance are far more obvious with skiing than it is with guitar.
Quote:
And at the end of the day, the stuff in the shop is there to be sold, and it is that person's job to try and get it sold. The fact that its even in the shop means that it must be at least halfway decent, or else the shop wouldn't stock it. I dunno if that's true for the bigger chain stores, but all the music shops I've been to have had a fairly high standard of stuff

Yes, but not necessarily because it's actually good. But because they think people will buy them. Inexperienced people will buy junk if it's made to look pretty.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Rate This Thread: