Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
thecameronator

Strumming, an advanced players problem?!

So, in my band we generally have two guitars. Myself, and someone else.
My other guitarist is great at lead, however I've noticed his rhythm is... Well, lost at times.
A good part of this I believe is due to his strict use of alternate picking. He seems I apply this to just about everything except for sweep picking. When he has a relatively simple guitar part (like a repeating pattern of a quarter note and 4 eighth notes), he can play it fine. But, due to him strictly sticking to the idea of alternate picking, it sounds "choppy". It sounds harsh and aggressive instead of "flowing" if that makes any sense.
To clarify further, instead of strumming this pattern D DUDU D DUDU (missing the upstroke after the first downstroke) he would play D UDUD U DUDU.

Has anyone else encountered this in an experienced player before? He's not an amateur guitarist, for an example he can play a number of Dream Theater songs (with the lead parts), but even in these songs any simple rhythm part is given that "choppy" feel. I just find it to be an intriguing problem to have, and wonder if it's more common than I think.
thecameronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Kromeo

I learned how to economy pick first before I learned to alternate pick, so I dont have that problem. If I did however, I would start practicing economy picking and other types, maybe a little bit of hybrid picking as well
Kromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I haven't encountered an issue like this in an actually experienced played before but then I probably have a different definition of "experienced" or "advanced" than you do.

Have you tried raising this issue with him though? Frankly it doesn't matter if the problem is common or not, what matters is what can be done about it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
bondmorkret

It makes total sense that someone who has focused on lead will be less fluent at rhythm parts, it always confuses me when one is referred to as 'harder' than the other, it depends on how complicated parts you write/play. I have great respect for players who can seemlessly shift between lead/rhythm style playing, without seeming to struggle with either!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
It makes total sense that someone who has focused on lead will be less fluent at rhythm parts, it always confuses me when one is referred to as 'harder' than the other, it depends on how complicated parts you write/play. I have great respect for players who can seemlessly shift between lead/rhythm style playing, without seeming to struggle with either!

The easiest way of making it possible to switch between both is eliminating the binary in your mind. They really aren't different things once you get down to it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

You're doing it right, your lead guitarist is doing it wrong. With strumming you almost always want to to have the motion consistent and "miss" the strokes that aren't needed. This is the standard in rock, metal, pop, classical...
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: