User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
archenemyfan
UG Addict

How to tap the beat and also pluck notes simultaneously

Eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieqr...=1&feature=plcp

If you listen closely you can hear him tapping the bass string while also picking notes on the treble strings. Most fingerstyle guitarists utilize this technique but I can't do it, which is holding me back.

I'm really frustrated because I find nearly impossible to pluck while simultaneously tapping the strings with my thumb because the fingers have to act in different directions.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

It's just a matter of slowing it down and breaking it down. I could not do this either do this for a long period of time but then i just slowed it down and broke it apart.

Start with just the thumb movement, and get that down effortlessly. Then start adding SOME of the treble parts. Then when you manage that, add the rest.

Really, if you just slow it down to a tempo where it is manageable, you will learn it quickly. And almost everything is manageable once it's really really slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Tvrtko1
Is using the chicken to m

Cool vid.
I believe the metronome is crucial for things like these. Make sure you understand the note values in the song, then start practising with the metronome on a low speed. Focus on maintaining the groove, which should stay the same no matter the speed. It's kinda tricky to get used to playing like that, and fingerpicking (at least for me) even more so. Keep at it, don't go faster if the groove feels even a tiny bit off. Keep playing it perfect, and you'll be surprised how quickly you learn to play it just right.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
archenemyfan
UG Addict

I can kinda see what you guys are saying, I've been practicing the thumb movement today I can sync my plucked notes with it better than used to be able to. The only problem I have now is making them have similar volumes when playing, because one usually overpowers the other.

But my palm muscles feel tight when I do it, hope I get used to it.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
I can kinda see what you guys are saying, I've been practicing the thumb movement today I can sync my plucked notes with it better than used to be able to. The only problem I have now is making them have similar volumes when playing, because one usually overpowers the other.

But my palm muscles feel tight when I do it, hope I get used to it.

Don't just power through that tight feeling, find out why it's there, it could be just because you're not used to it but make sure that it's not a fault in your technique somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't just power through that tight feeling, find out why it's there, it could be just because you're not used to it but make sure that it's not a fault in your technique somewhere.

The thing is I'm not 100% about my technique. I'm just trying to do it the only way I can think of.

A link to a technique video would be really helpful
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Try this, man:

It's not exactly the same thing but it's pretty close and you should be able to adapt it to what you need easily enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
archenemyfan
UG Addict

That was actually really helpful. Thanks bud

Rate This Thread: