User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
lolometer1
UG's only melon deathstar

NGD VM Jaguar

Let's start of with pictures

Got this beauty about a month ago and I've had time to work with it now so I thought it'd be a good time to post.

I decided to get the new vintage modified jaguar because I'm on a budget and I didn't have a guitar with single coils and a vibrato since I decided to load my old pacifica full of humbuckers. I got it for 255 from Gear4Music and out of the box it played great however it had .009's on it which I immediately switched for Elixir Nanoweb .011 - .049's which I always use and trust to the end of the earth. I had also read that a common problem with Jaguar bridges is that they go out of tune a lot unless you use heavier gauge strings and since switching I've had no problems with tuning stability whilst using the vibrato.

The action was a bit low and buzzy to begin with but I adjusted it to my preference and it's perfect now. The frets are all level and the fret ends are not sharp at all which makes sliding up the neck easier. The only problem with the neck is the finish which can get a bit sticky when your hands start to sweat but it's not a huge problem.

The tone is amazing! I love the twang I can get from the bridge pickup and that can be boosted with the treble boost switch but at the same time I love how it can mellow out just by switching to the neck pickup. The controls are pretty easy to get used to once you figure out what they all do and they make it a lot easier to shape your tone without going back and forth to your amp.

It handles distortion pretty well, I've used it through a Fender Stage 160 DSP, a Peavey Valveking and my little Yamaha GA-15 practice amp and on all three with the gain up it's not been very noisy or had much feedback, this makes it pretty useful for high gain punk or hard rock if you need it. The clean tones are superb, especially from the neck pickup, I've played some Amy Winehouse, Jamie Cullum etc (lots of soft clean guitar tones) and some bluesy stuff and it's been amazing with just a splash of reverb (especially for really smooth solos) however for indie stuff like Said The Whale, Two Door Cinema Club and even some Biffy Clyro, the bridge pickup works really well for getting a bit of twang and bite.

I am in love with this guitar and it's slowly becoming my main guitar but I always have my VM Tele Deluxe in case I want to play something a bit heavier.

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by housemd
nope.
lolometer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
SteveHOC
Used Register

Freakin' awesome guitar! I'm looking at the VM Jazzmasters right now, though I just got myself a MIJ Fender Jaguar HH Special this past week. I'd love to hear some recordings of it if you get a chance, something about those single-coils makes me very interested. Those VM's are getting rave reviews pretty much anywhere I look. How's the weight on the Jag?

HNGD!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
lolometer1

It's pretty heavy, it's a pain to lug around in the case but to me it feels ok when playing. I'll try and record a clip when I get back to college as I haven't got a decent recording set up at home unless you're ok with some crappy photobooth video haha

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote:
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote:
nope.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
SteveHOC
Used Register

Definitely upload a clip when you've got the proper recording equipment for it! I would hate to get the wrong impression due to a lackluster bit of software. Still - awesome guitar, the Olympic White was the color I was looking at, too! I can only imagine the wear and tear will make that guitar all the more appealing!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
lolometer1

The finish seems pretty solid to me, but I imagine when I inevitably do wear it in it'll still look just as awesome. The Olympic White and Tortoise Shell combo is actually my favourite on a guitar so I was pretty pleased with it haha. I did also look at a Jazzmaster but I wanted something with a shorter scale length as I've been doing a lot of big stretches lately so I thought the Jaguar would be more comfortable

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote:
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote:
nope.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
lolometer1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX38...eature=youtu.be Just a quick tone test to give a little feeling of how it sounds (excuse my bad playing, I was rushing a bit haha) I will have a proper sound clip soon

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote:
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote:
nope.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
SteveHOC
Used Register

That bridge pickup has surprisingly warm tones! It does seem to hold tune fairly well, too, which is a good thing to hear.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Mr.DeadDuck
UG's best Dave

Good stuff nice to see offsets getting their moment in the sun again.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
SteveHOC
Used Register

Odd how popular they've become again, isn't it? I'll admit, I was drawn to mine after watching a few bands live that used them regularly (Jaguars and Jazzmasters both). I wonder why they're hitting stride again.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
lolometer1

I've always wanted something offset because I play a lot of bass and I love playing jazz basses but I've got quite a small budget and didn't like the previous offset models that budget companies like Squier had been releasing so when they released the new VM line I was incredibly excited and had to have one!

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote:
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote:
nope.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'm hearing that they're closer to the actual vintage Jags and Jazzmasters than the classic player line, but that's all just Internet talk
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Ippon
Amped

Nice!

Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: