Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

Blackstar HT-5R. What sounds can I get out of it?

Hey guys.

I think I've settled into getting a Blackstar HT5R, but lately I've been getting into blues Rock and RocknRoll style music.

I'm just wondering if the HT-5 can do these styles or is it suited more to the heavier, higher gain stuff? I've heard a HT-5 do some good AC/DC tones, but that isn't as creamy and smooth as what I'm looking for

Type of music I'm looking at is something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psr_a-uBcGQ&sns=em

I know the guitarist uses a Peavey Classic 30 so basically wondering if the HT-5R can get classic 30 tone...

Seeing a I'm not in a band and play what I like I just need an amp that does everything

Thanks guys
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Tone is in your head and heart.
It doesnt matter what gear you have,
If you love the guitar, you're a good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much

Last edited by Distortion_101 : 03-30-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Distortion_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

Another example of the style of music is WolfMother.

Any help will be appreciated!

Quote:
your my hero

Quote:
I love you

Thank you very much
Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
pugachev

If you want a Peavey Classic 30 tone, why not just get one? You can find one used for around the same price of a new Blackstar HT-5 and probably cheaper. But as far as Blues rock and Classic rock, it can do those well too. I never thought of the HT-5 as a "high gain" amp. More like a hotrodded 80s marshally thing. Does really well for that kinda thing.
pugachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

Classic 30 is too powerful for me...

I'm a bedroom guitarist and staying that way, just want a tube amp tone now, very over SS...

Plus I play other styles that the HT5 suits.

My other option is a Ibanez TSA15, which I Half the price of the HT5 here in SA, and I can buy a reverb pedal and and a Digitech Valve Distortion to pick up where the Tube screamer leaves... Or another tube screamer to boost the TS channel :}

Quote:
your my hero

Quote:
I love you

Thank you very much
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Heideck

I have a ht100 stage, and it can do everything, so I think an Ht-5 could be very good to

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion_101
I'm a bedroom guitarist and staying that way

May I ask why? What happens when you meet a drummer?

If you want a Classic 30, get it. Throw a dirt pedal in front, and you have a pretty versatile setup.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

You don't have to have it on 10 at home...

Volume knob...
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Maximus_2005

Quote:
Classic 30 is too powerful for me...

I'm a bedroom guitarist and staying that way, just want a tube amp tone now, very over SS...

Plus I play other styles that the HT5 suits.

My other option is a Ibanez TSA15, which I Half the price of the HT5 here in SA, and I can buy a reverb pedal and and a Digitech Valve Distortion to pick up where the Tube screamer leaves... Or another tube screamer to boost the TS channel :}

Well the ht5 is a hybrid amp with ss components...

Buy the classic 30, the volume knob controls the ....

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

I have met drummer. 2 of my friends play drums. Yes I have jammed but I won't take it further.

I've never known it was SS? Please elaborate? I've always thought more of the high gain stuff sounded a little digital but didnt think much if it.

And yes volume knob work, but to give an example of the level I must play at or people in my house get angry, with my cube, as soon as I turn the volume up and I hear noise, that's where I have to stop. I am moving out soon so that's why I want the tube. Plus I can still use pedals to get the sound I want when I have to play at low volumes

Quote:
your my hero

Quote:
I love you

Thank you very much
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
souperman08

I was underwhelmed by the one I played though. Not awful, but nothing I would ever buy.

Since this is UG and you wanted a versatile tube amp, I'll be the one to throw this out there:Peavey Vypyr 60.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
I have met drummer. 2 of my friends play drums. Yes I have jammed but I won't take it further.

I've never known it was SS? Please elaborate? I've always thought more of the high gain stuff sounded a little digital but didnt think much if it.

And yes volume knob work, but to give an example of the level I must play at or people in my house get angry, with my cube, as soon as I turn the volume up and I hear noise, that's where I have to stop. I am moving out soon so that's why I want the tube. Plus I can still use pedals to get the sound I want when I have to play at low volumes

Lower wattage amps aren't really that much quieter than higher wattage amps. I have a 100 Watt head that I use for bedroom almost daily, Before that I had a 60 watter which I use daily, and before that a 15 watter. I shared a room for a while when I played the 60 watt and the person I was sharing the room with went to bed early. Thanks to my trusty volume knob, I never woke him once. Honestly get what you want because wattage isn't THAT big of a deal. Just use the volume knob.

As for the SS thing, it might get most of it's power from tubes, but there are still SS components in the signal path.

Last edited by Viban : 03-31-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
MaaZeus

Ht5 is a hybrid amp, both tube and ss distortion in preamp section. There is some drama over ht serie because marketing gives wrong impression that it is all-tube which its not. Personally i dont care what it is as long as it sounds good. To my knowledge it is related to Marshall jcm900 (designed by same people). Without boost it has marshall like distortion. Can do some modern highgain too with a boost.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-31-2013 at 05:44 AM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Ht5 is a hybrid amp, both tube and ss distortion in preamp section. There is some drama over ht serie because marketing gives wrong impression that it is all-tube which its not.

As far as I've always cared, if it has valves in the preamp and in the power amp then it is fair to call it a valve amp. No matter what your system, at some point the signal is going to hit a few transistors along the way. If you only define a valve amp as something that exclusively uses valves and at no point uses transistors for anything then nothing is a valve amp.
The key is where the valves are. Preamp and power amp? It's a valve amp. There are hi-fis that cost five times what the most expensive guitar amps in the world cost and they're classed as valve amps despite the power section using both valves and transistors.

It's a hybrid if one half is transistor and one half is valve. If both sections are based on transistors and they've randomly shoved a valve in somewhere for looks then it's still a solid state amp. If both sections are based on valves and they'ved shoved a few more transistors somewhere for a gain boost or whathaveyou, it's still a valve amp. It just happens to be a valve amp with some extra stuff added.

That said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Personally i dont care what it is as long as it sounds good.

Is the right answer.

Quote:
Solid state does not equal digital. Digital is when there is software involved; transistors on their own, i.e. solid state, is analogue.

OP, the HT5 can do classic rock fine. In fact I pin it as being better at classic rock than metal. It really is just a fairly standard modded Marshall design la what everybody was using in the 70s and early 80s. Turn your gain down, mids up and push the volume as high as you can reasonably go.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
As far as I've always cared, if it has valves in the preamp and in the power amp then it is fair to call it a valve amp. No matter what your system, at some point the signal is going to hit a few transistors along the way. If you only define a valve amp as something that exclusively uses valves and at no point uses transistors for anything then nothing is a valve amp.
The key is where the valves are. Preamp and power amp? It's a valve amp. There are hi-fis that cost five times what the most expensive guitar amps in the world cost and they're classed as valve amps despite the power section using both valves and transistors.

It's a hybrid if one half is transistor and one half is valve. If both sections are based on transistors and they've randomly shoved a valve in somewhere for looks then it's still a solid state amp. If both sections are based on valves and they'ved shoved a few more transistors somewhere for a gain boost or whathaveyou, it's still a valve amp. It just happens to be a valve amp with some extra stuff added.

I agree. But I still suspect blackstar is being vague on purpose. At some point wrong impression was given and now all guitar shops sell them as all-tube amps, which is not true and may (or judging from the bile blackstar gets from some, has) result in some dissapointments. Maybe not blackstars fault but they should come out and call them hybrids because thats where lot of the distortion (the thing that actually matters) comes from, ss parts. The cat has been out of the bag for few years now, let the tech fight with its own merits, which judging from the short time i tested one was pretty damn nice. I want the 60w head myself.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Yngwie#1

I was strongly considering the HT5 or HT1 and in the end chose another tube amp. I can't find any literature by Blackstar saying its an all-tube amp in those words. In fact they freely say it is based on their HT-Dual pedal, which is SS and used for overdrive mode preamp tube gain in the HT5 and HT1 amps. The 'only reason' that turned me off is because I wanted to use my own overdrive pedal and when you get down to it, you really don't need an overdrive pedal with an amp that has one already built-in.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Yngwie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: