User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #81
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
I attempted to end this line of discussion in my second post. As to what extent I can enjoy the music, that was addressed in my first post (which was so uncontroversial Magero actually approved of it).

I just don't see the big deal in making a fuss over the literals of the genre. I can agree that from all compositional standpoints, it's a different off-shoot. Using the term "progressive death metal" was simply because it's almost become an aesthetic definition in of itself. Duncan has gone to great lengths to explain why "progressive metal" isn't a real genre, because it requires a better qualifier, and this is sort of the same deal for me. It may not be a literal, accurate description of the sound, but it's come to sort of "mean what it means". I call Born of Osiris "progressive deathcore", that doesn't mean I think they're actually progressing the genre or "progressive" in any sense other than "prog" being used to mean bands with keyboards, odd time signatures and slightly out of character for the genre riff styling from time to time. The irony is not lost on me that this tends to result in 90 bands who all use the exact same sound, while I'm perfectly happy to call them all prog deathcore.

This is why typing everything while doing "finger quotes" is the best way of dealing with it. Ironic detachment solves everything, nothing means anything anymore!

Also, yeah, so, Fallujah are awesome. Discuss/don't.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #82
ambivalent615
Climate Controller

I can pretty much agree with all of that. The thing that gets really annoying is that when someone says "It isn't Death Metal," or "It isn't progressive," fans (not all of them) of the band tend to fly off the handle, like their enjoyment of the band is based on it being death metal or something, like it really needs to be argued. If you dig it, who gives a shit what genre tag it holds? Why bother trying to come up with some reason that the forum should accept it as death metal, you know what I mean?

Moving on, I've listened to the first album a couple times, and while to me it's not necessarily enjoyable, it isn't really something I'd bitch about, generally. They pull off the "ambient" stuff a lot better than their contemporaries, I think, though I still find it feels kind of forced most of the time. Most of their actual music bores me pretty quickly, though, but when they drop into the more vibey slower bits it sounds like they're onto something, sort of. And I've stated it before, the lead tone is great, like a good blend of Cynic and Mithras, or something. I don't really care for much of the lead playing, though, but at least he's trying something a little more out there, his note choice has kind of a Shawn Lane or Allan Holdsworth quality occasionally, which I can dig.

On the whole, it's not my thing, really, and I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, but I have a friend who's into this type of stuff, and I'd take it over just about anything it's reminiscent of.
ambivalent615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #83
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent615
like their enjoyment of the band is based on it being death metal or something

This was basically the point I was trying to make. I wasn't commenting on this band in particular, just the nature of the argument which I see time and time again.

Listening to the EP posted on the first page, I don't like the mix of expansive melodic sections with bouncy drums and vocals in the first song. I'd prefer the drums to follow the melodies and moods more, and for it to have clean vocals to be honest. Fortunately this feels much more cohesive on the last song.

I can hear the post hardcore/metalcore influence that NotFromANUS implied, perhaps moreso than the Death Metal influence, but please understand that this is an observation, not a judgement.

It's a nice enough EP, and I get why people like it, but it would be improved greatly if the individual sections within the songs worked together a bit more (and if the vocals weren't unpleasant).
Hoodoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #84
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

This is just personal opinion, but I found that once you follow the melodic "themes" of the tracks, so to speak, they actually flow pretty well. It can give off a BTBAM-esque "Anddd.... NOW, the clean part' vibe at first, but after 2 or 3 listens I noticed that it's all related, and deliberately done as a dynamic. Part 3 shows this off best, with the clean section basically morphing from a variation on the first half, to introducing the outro before it happens, and part 1 isn't much different.

I get what you're saying, and opinions, etc blah blah blah, just something I know took me a few listens. Still, it's far more aesthetically interesting than anything else they've ever done, and I can't wait for the album.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #85
Bazz22

I used to not like Fallujah, but I decided to give them another listen and I'm really glad that I did. Sick jams. I especially like the "Leper Colony" album.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #86
ctfod
Your move, creep

Saw them support Suffocation the other night.

Eh

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #87
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Just found out about these guys. I love their sound. Currently attempting (in vain) to learn and tab the leads in "The Flame Surreal"... shit's hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #88
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #89
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

^
Good shit!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: