Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
AeonOptic

Harmonics on lower frets?

Well, I have a problem with doing natural harmonics on the 7th fret and below. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as my technique works fine on the twelfth fret and below. I am able to do artificial/tapped harmonics, but not natural.
Could it be I am pressing too hard before releasing?
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It could be a question of too much pressure or it could be that you're not putting your finger at the right place on the strings. Harmonics don't all occur right over the frets all the time and when you get lower on the neck they get all bunched up; around the third fret area there are tons of different harmonics.

Watch this: It's very handy to know how these things work, using them becomes much easier when you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
NemX162

So are you saying you can only do it on 12 and 9? You shouldn't really be pushing the string at all for a natural harmonic. Just touching it just above the fret-wire, creating a node which does not vibrate.
NemX162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
AeonOptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemX162
So are you saying you can only do it on 12 and 9? You shouldn't really be pushing the string at all for a natural harmonic. Just touching it just above the fret-wire, creating a node which does not vibrate.

That's what I try to do. However, when I pull my finger away so the sound is not dampened it does not make a noise.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: