Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
cilissen.m

Question Marshall MG30FX volume question

Hello,

Me and my friend are making ourselves a little studio in his house where we can play. He is an excellent drummer but plays it quite loud. I've been playing acoustic guitars most of my life but recently switched over to a semi-acoustic guitar (an Epiphone ES-335 to get me started), I also got a Vox StompLab IIG but haven't been able to use it yet. I have very little experience with guitar amps so I'm wondering if a Marshall MG30FX will be able to produce a high enough volume to play with him (mainly on the clean channel). We're trying to keep everything budget friendly, but keep the quality high, so we rather not get in touch with the cheap amp brands.

So will I get a high enough volume from that amp and perhaps even when a bass and/or keyboard would join us. I also got an acoustic pickup that I can place in the sound hole of an acoustic guitar, will that work well enough with that amp? But the main priority is just to be able to hear it clearly while he's playing the drums.

Thanks in advance
cilissen.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

If you want a good clean amp, get an old second hand Peavey SS amp or a Roland JC-120. Avoid the MG like the plague.

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
souperman08

If the Vox has amp modeling (I'm not familiar with it and I'm on my phone right now) then a powered wedge or a cheap PA might make more financial sense. To answer your question, 30 watts SS would be....borderline. I wouldn't bank on it working well. Also, brace yourself, a whole lot of (valid) MG hating is coming.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
ragingkitty
meow?

You'll need this.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Slap-happy

Personally I'd go for one of the Vox AD series of amps. I think there's a 40 watt model out there these days and the sound is far superior to the MG.

As for the MG. I had one about 10 years ago, when I first returned to the UK from Australia and it was fine for my needs - something to amplify my guitar whilst at home. Once I got into a band again I upgraded. I sold all of my amps once I left the UK to move to Australia and bought a Vox AD30 at first (one of the first models). It needs a new speaker, but other than that is a very good practice, rehearsal tool and save me having to lug around a head/combo and speaker cabs.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
ragingkitty
meow?

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
cilissen.m

The budget for an amp is between 200 and 350
Lately I mostly play British rock inspired music, but nothing too heavy styled tho
Personally I would prefer something new rather then used. But I guess I would be interested in used if it's an exceptionally good amp for the price, it's just that I almost know nothing about guitar amps. Playing home I guess, playing music is just a hobby for us. The closest big city would be Hasselt in Belgium but I usually just get my things online from Thomann in Germany and current gear is just a small practice amp I bought with the guitar, it won't be of any use when a drum is playing. Starting next month we plan on both spending a part of our income at the beginning of every month on our little place where we can play music, and eventually record

Last edited by cilissen.m : 04-22-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Slap-happy

Go for the Vox. It can compete with a drummer, has 11 amp models that are actually pretty good, a single valve (it aids tone a little), there's built in effects that are a good spring board, a pot on the back to attenuate the output, headphones in, a line out and should just about fit your budget.

There's a site I going to try to find...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
Slap-happy

Sorry - double post, my German isn't as good as it was....

Try this - it's the VT80. If you can get to a shop and try one out first it would be preferable...

http://www.thomann.de/de/vox_vt80.htm
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
cilissen.m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-happy

Try this - it's the VT80. If you can get to a shop and try one out first it would be preferable...

Woah, That looks like a very good amp for that price. I'll search some more info and videos about it, and if everything looks and sound great I might aswell just get it from Thomann, in the worst case I can just send it back for refund.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
Slap-happy

Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-happy

I'll second this recommendation - I had the 40w version and it was pretty good, but for a band scenario you'd definitely want the 80w model.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I'll second this recommendation - I had the 40w version and it was pretty good, but for a band scenario you'd definitely want the 80w model.

3rded. The 40watt is a great amp, but yeah, I'd go with the 80w if I could do it over again
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I've heard Orange amps are quite good for clean/rock tones, maybe get a 35 watt crush?
I haven't have any experience with them, so I can't personally say if it's loud enough or produces good tones, but other people should be able to answer that for me
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Yamaha RBX270

Magnum 44 Poweramp
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Barrycello

If u had ur mind set on a Marshall, and want quality with volume for a drummer in a studio/bedroom kind of thing, then also check out the Marshall Class 5.
Cant see them on Thomann now but i got it there for 350euro i think.

I'm in a similair position myself, i play on an isolated room at my friends place and happens to play ******edly loud on his drums. I had serious difficulties to get heard over it on my old 80watt roland cube. Basiacly every time i got the volume up to get heard there was this wall of noise really... Was not clear at all, i guess it was because of the solidstate. Now i have a Marshall Class 5 and i only open up the volume about 3/4th to get the tubes kicking in, but i have the volume on my distortion pedal halfway. If i go up with volume my drummer complains haha.

Id invest in a Tube amp, and if u play mostly cleanish then dont look at all the fancy stuff that comes with alot of amps, in the end your paying for that too.
5watts of tube is def loud enough for studio/house use.
Barrycello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
deadsmileyface
u*(wot/m8)

Recommending the Fender Excelsior. about 230 euros brand new, tube amp. its quite loud.

Last edited by deadsmileyface : 05-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

30 watts of solid state amp could be enough, to hear the amp louder lift it on something to be closer to your ears.
But it wouldn't hurt trying something else than a Marshall MG, it's not a very good amp, I have MG15CDR and MG30DFX so I know what I'm talking about. I think you can find better amps.

Rate This Thread: