Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Insira

18th and 19th century tonal harmony resources

Apologies if this isn't the place to post this, but I didn't know where else it would go.

Does anyone have any online resources for learning 18th and 19th century tonal harmony? I've stumbled across a few textbooks, but they're pretty pricey, and I'm just looking to teach myself the basics and the most important ideas.

Anyone know any good websites for 18th/19th century tonal harmony?
Insira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
cdgraves

You'd be best to get a used textbook and workbook (with solutions). The most valuable part of learning traditional harmony is having to compose it, yourself.

Bach to Berlioz is like 75% of what you'd learn in a few years of college-level music study, so a textbook would really be appropriate. You may be able to find one with its own problem sets that doesn't require a workbook.
cdgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Search for 'recommended reading' in this forum and a thread should come up by me. You should be able to get some pretty cheap on Amazon, if not then send me a PM and I'll direct you somewhere you can get them 'cheaper'.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Bach to Berlioz is like 75% of what you'd learn in a few years of college-level music study, so a textbook would really be appropriate. You may be able to find one with its own problem sets that doesn't require a workbook.

Nah, we went from Bach all the way to Schubert, then Wagner and Berg's (still tonal just highly chormatic with a gratutious amounts of augmented sixth chords) earlier works too.

Anyway, I suggest that TS actually have a look at the textbook before buying it. As some of them are written horribly, the one I had put me to sleep.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

In terms of websites:

http://www.tonalityguide.com/
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Tonal Harmony isn't a bad theory book. I'm not a huge fan of it but it basically covers what you need to know.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
Tonal Harmony isn't a bad theory book. I'm not a huge fan of it but it basically covers what you need to know.

I enjoy my Tonal Harmony book, except for the part about counterpoint, but that's more just a stylistic difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Yeah, there are better books on counterpoint. The Study of Counterpoint is a pretty good book. It's basically a translation of Gradus Ad Parnassum
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
will42
UG's bassoon-master

That's a new one to me, I should totally look it up. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: