Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Derek Woolley

Wanting To Start Teaching

I'm 17, and I haven't been playing guitar for too long, but since it is so difficult for me to find a job in my area I wanted to fix that by teaching guitar, I know I am able to teach beginners because I have taught my friends a little, although I'm not sure exactly where to start, I know I should help the student work towards a goal and have lessons planned out, also maybe a free trial lesson, but after that I'm not entirely sure, what do I need to know? How much theory do I need to know? ( I know a lot about rhythm because I am also a drummer but other than rhythm I know only some of the basics ).
Derek Woolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

I've said it before, I'll say it again: If you don't know what to teach, then don't teach.

What do you need to know? Depends on the student. What should you know? As much as is humanly possible. On top of that, you need to be able to recognize and fix issues with their technique, you need to be able to properly convey information to them, and you need the ability to accurately perform what you're teaching. If someone wants to learn tapping, but you can't tap to save your life, it's not going to work.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Recognise that no matter what you know, teaching is about communication much more than it is about knowledge. That's not to say that you don't need to know as much as possible but the primary job of the teacher is communication more than anything else.

Also you need to realise that teaching your friends is vastly different; these are people who know you personally anyway so the dynamic in terms of both the manner of communication and how they understand you. Teaching people you don't know outside of the lesson situation is a completely different way of dealing with people.

I'm also generally with Junior though, I'm a firm believer that if you don't know what you should be teaching then you definitely shouldn't be doing so. Spend more time looking in to it and try to get a really good handle on what beginners need and how to teach it before you start; look around at beginner courses that other people offer and see how they progress and so on. There's plenty of information out there, you just need to go and find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Yeah. Obviously you need to be competent in the subject to be teaching it (as trying to learn from someone who doesn't even understand the material he/she is teaching is infuriating... had a few teachers like that at school though I should add that most of my schoolteachers were great), but a teacher who is competent in the material but a great teacher is normally a better teacher than someone who is a badass at the material but a mediocre teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

To sum up these responses:

Don't teach. You're too inexperienced.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 07-02-2014 at 01:15 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: