Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Left Hand Issues

Been playing for ten years and as of recently i have devoloped over time via bad technique/posture artritus. It sucks. Anyone here suffer from the samething? Going to doctor soon yall are not my new MD's but any tips on the matter would be helpfull from player to player.

Note: Allready use wristbands. Helps a lil but not alot. Again not looking for a miracle here.

Thanks Guys & Gals
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Andy Pollow

I played classical style left hand for a long time and no matter what I did ( guitar high, tilted up, ... ) I hurt my wrist really bad every time I played guitar. Untill I switched to this left hand style -

Thumb goes up and down, fingers angled on the high E/parallell to the frets on the low E, palm below index finger always touching the bottom of the neck. It keeps your wrist straighter. I never hurt my wrist again. You can reach 2 steps + and sometimes I come away from the neck classical style for a big stretch or chord.

I was surprised how many great shredders play that way and I never noticed. And alot of them play the classical/jazz way too like MAB...

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 02-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

:O well damn. I play classical style only because i thought the skunk stripe on the back of the neck was where you put your thumb. I will try this!!! Thank you so much!!!!!
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Andy Pollow

Yeah well dont just listen to me - that skunk stripe IS where your supposed to stick your thumb. There are 2 ways to do left hand technique and youll see the even best shredders use one or the other and many use both. It also depends on what you want to play. If you play jazz chords alot you might want your thumb on the stripe.

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 02-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

No it's not, the skunk stripe is there to cover the truss rod channel and look pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Regarding left hand position -
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

You guys rock! And yes the skunk stripe is there for the truss rod. Learned that three years into playing

But i did learn from a classical perspective that the stripe helps and a great guide because you put your thumb dead middle of the neck. But thats what got me as well. I was over working that muscle that caused the cramps then led to bad posture and over working my joints.

Found that wrist guards in combo of the Paul Gilbert and Jimi hand style has helped a bit. (thumb on top or over fret)

But for now no shredding in my near future. Just good ol rhythm. But hey it could be worse.

Thanks again guys
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
yourguitarsage

Hello my friend! I am a guitar teacher and have had arthritis since I was a teenager. However, I have never heard of someone getting arthritis from playing guitar. Many times it is a dietary deficiency or DNA. A few things that I have found that it helped my joints are vitamin D, flax oil or fish oil, and staying away from meat and dairy as much as possible. Animal products are inflammatory and will make arthritis worse. Eat your veggies!
#1 Amazon.com Bestseller, Guitar Mastery Simplified
yourguitarsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourguitarsage
Hello my friend! I am a guitar teacher and have had arthritis since I was a teenager. However, I have never heard of someone getting arthritis from playing guitar. Many times it is a dietary deficiency or DNA. A few things that I have found that it helped my joints are vitamin D, flax oil or fish oil, and staying away from meat and dairy as much as possible. Animal products are inflammatory and will make arthritis worse. Eat your veggies!

Reading it now that doesnt make much sense now does it? NO i guess i already had it but it got worse as a played. It runs Rampid through my famliy tree so it was inevitable really.

Diet has changed dramatically. My nine month old is allergic to everything so me and the wife have to curve our diet for him. Which is a good thing cause veggies are awesome. But there was a 14 year period of my life where all i did is party and party and alot of damage i did to myself. But hey...such is life. Much better place now more than ever. And Vitamins are my new best friend and Osteo Biflex and of course aleve. Wrist bands help a bit. its more of a reminder than anything else.

Thanks again man. You truly are a guitar sage.
Epiphone Prophecy

Rate This Thread: