Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
kharn_tb

Saddest shopping trip I'm going to have to do

Sadly due to my wife loosing her job (although I finally got a good one) I had to go sell our guitars this weekend so we could pay some bills . That aside the selling of mine came with a stipulation of being able to get something so I can continue to play without spending a ton, and have something as a hold over.

The stipulation as far as today was concerned was that I was able to get something used for about 100 for selling a guitar for a bit more (still more money then initially in our pockets). My wife talked me into waiting a little while and maybe spending a little more, and it is a budget of about $200 US. I'm looking to go used most likely unless I do rent to own, but I priced that out before and that was a horrid profit margin for them (30 down plus 30 a month for a year for a 250 guitar, if I were to save the money in that time I could get an almost 400 one). That economic issue aside I do have a few leads already:

An ibby gio 90 used.
Various other similar Ibby lower end models for about 200ish
A few lower end LTD models, which usually hold up well for the price
Schecter running used I've had good luck finding well priced models that were beyond bang for their buck (I got a 400 one used for 150).
Any other suggestions, rondo for 150ish?
A dean vendetta?

I know I'm looking at mediocre guitars at best, but we also sold our amps and I'm looking to be able to play, not have the world's greatest guitar. I'm not looking for an LTD 1000 or American Deluxe Fender, I'm looking for playable and plays well.

Is the Gio style rg worthwhile with an super thin neck?
Would I be better off hunting for a used on craigslist or a store with limited selection?
Is rondo a good idea for non-agile?
Are low end deans that horrible ( I know a place that doesn't sell a ton of guitars quick that might have an ml for 120)
Any other suggestions?

Please don't say save up more I'm looking to be able to play and want to be able to otherwise I won't be able to until march when I get my tax refund. I will upgrade when I can and my wife did get a job, and this was to pay the rent until she gets paid. Also hard tails only I don't like floyds and I really don't trust them on that low end of a guitar.
kharn_tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Yamaha Pacificas are very nice guitars for the money. look into those.

Sad to hear bout the times of trouble dude. hope all goes well
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Hey man sorry to hear what you are going through.

My advice would be to check Craig's List. You might be able to find a good deal there for around 50 bucks or so for some of the models you mentioned.

I recently saw an Ibanez Gio for that price and one for 30 too. Ended up not getting them since the sellers were pretty far away.

Even amps, you might be able to find a 15w for $30-$40 if you are not picky about the brand.

Also got a Dean Vendetta XMT (has a traditional style trem on it) for cheap and it was nearly new! You asked if they are "that bad" and all I will say is that it is very light due to the wood it's made of and feels kind of fragile. Tuners suck. I also heard that with time the hardware starts to fall apart/fall out. I do like the sound though.

What sort of music do you play?

Last edited by Huge Guy : 11-03-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
kharn_tb

I play metal and some hard rock. I had a nice guitar by my standards which was the better version of the Damien riot (emg hzs the satin finish and "bat" inlays) but it was not like I gave up an ltd 1000 or an esp. As far as the dean I looked at the hard tail for a min and looked for the joke Ibanez. But I was at the store for an hour just to sell five things so I just wanted to go home with a bit of a drive ahead of me.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
samuraigoomba

You can get BC Rich Masterpiece series Mockingbirds for a little over 200 bucks. I don't know if they're good guitars for the money, but they sure look cool. I have a low-end Schecter Omen 6 and don't recommend it. It has a huge bolt-on piece on the neck that messes up my playing and the guitar has very little tonal range. If you can find a C-1 Classic or something for a steal on Craigslist, that might be okay.

An Agile AL-2000 might be fine for what you need.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

I am sorry to hear about you having to sell your gear, been down that road before.

If you don't mind the shape the Epiphone Faded G-400 can be had for <$200 used and it is a solid guitar. Grover tuners, solid hardware and build. The pickups aren't the greatist, but they are certainly usable.

I have a Dean EVO XM I recieved in a trade and the hardware is all complete shit. I spent over $100 putting all new hardware, electronics, nut, pickups and now it is a diecent guitar.

Also check out Xaviere guitars on www.guitarfetish.com they are pretty good for the price and come with better pickups than anything in their price range new.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 11-04-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Yamaha Pacificas are very nice guitars for the money. look into those.

Yeap.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
ConcertShooter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharn_tb
I had to go sell our guitars this weekend so we could pay some bills

I've been there and done that but will never do it again. It's hard times for a lot of people so don't feel like you're the only one.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-20-2012 at 10:30 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
ConcertShooter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
HMy advice would be to check Craig's List.

I've found many good deals on various items on Craigslist including guitars and amps. Good place to look first but make sure they aren't fakes before making the purchase.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-20-2012 at 10:31 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Bhaok
The evil old man

Look local and used. The guitar market is soft right now and you can find some good deals.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
kharn_tb

Thank you for all the help, I ended up cruising CL for a long while (much to my annoyance). People in the D don't know what good selling prices are, at all. I saw the guitar I ended up getting for almost double what I paid for it. People need to learn to take the hit when selling used, I don't care if your kid only played it for 2 weeks.

On a good note I found out today that I'm being hired in by the company I've been working at (I'm a temp agency staffer) and that will be a load off my back and my wife got called back to her old job. I did end up getting an Ibby Gio, that I'm loving partly because Rocksmith picks it up easily (I've had "better" guitars that it couldn't get the pups on). Here is the NGD post if you want to see a nice cheap guitar

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...61#post30621761

Also heed my advice that guitar shopping with a small child is NOT a pleasant experience and enjoy our random Christmas bulbs (our cats already destroyed the tree).
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Good job on getting a job and HNGD! I dunno why this is spread over 3 threads lol. You're into board games too? Arkham Horror is great!

I don't think you can blame people for wanting to get the most money for something. You don't have to buy it and they'll soon lower the price when people don't buy it, if people are buying it then you're blaming the wrong people

What kind of stuff do you play anyway, how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Good for you on the job. At my current job I also started as a temp and I've been here 8 years now!
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharn_tb
On a good note I found out today that I'm being hired in by the company I've been working at (I'm a temp agency staffer) and that will be a load off my back and my wife got called back to her old job. I did end up getting an Ibby Gio, that I'm loving partly because Rocksmith picks it up easily (I've had "better" guitars that it couldn't get the pups on). Here is the NGD post if you want to see a nice cheap guitar

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...61#post30621761

Great news, man!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
kharn_tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Good job on getting a job and HNGD! I dunno why this is spread over 3 threads lol. You're into board games too? Arkham Horror is great!

I don't think you can blame people for wanting to get the most money for something. You don't have to buy it and they'll soon lower the price when people don't buy it, if people are buying it then you're blaming the wrong people

What kind of stuff do you play anyway, how long?

I've actually lost a bit of skill over the past two years as I hadn't been playing as regularly and have had several periods of being without an instrument (the job I have had for 3 months is my first decent job other then seriously part time jobs end of the story don't become a teacher). I play metal and am working my way up to full on black metal.

I don't blame people for wanting to get their money out of their purchases, and I've sold a lot of guitars over the years. I just don't get why they have less then realistic expectations of what they can get. I had made a number of reasonable offers and were all denied. I understand if you want to get as much as possible back, but when you can get a new model for $10-20 more its just not as economically sound as going to places like the used store I went to.

It was actually 4 threads I'm not sure how that happened, just different threads for each individual subject (one guitar was easier to research then the other). I had just thought others were dead, and moved on or so not knowing if people would respond to a gradually expanding topic, so in my mind it was just easier to start fresh.

Also it is my copy of Arkham Horror I actually had played the night before the pictures were taken it took me longer to set up then it did to loose, but such is life.

Last edited by kharn_tb : 11-21-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I own Washburn WI-64, and it's very good guitar considering it's price... Playable enough, doesn't get out of tune easily, nice tone. If you don't have money for it, you could try the cheaper models of Idol series...

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: