User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
vilk
******ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I still like ABR, I respect their freedoms to believe and say what they like. To think otherwise is bigoted.

big·ot [big-uht] Show IPA
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I don't like bands that preach christianity =/= I am a bigot.

However, I am bigoted against buttheads who go around spouting BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! any time someone says they don't care for something. It ticks me off because I actually know what the word means--and I'm not a bigot. If not liking bands that preach christianity makes one person a bigot, then not liking people who don't like bands that preach christianity makes the other every bit as much of a bigot. Even though as I've mentioned this is not the correct use of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I like Antestor more than a large portion of Black Metal. I like them because they play solid Black Metal without defaulting to anti-Christian themes. Seems like a lot of bands think it's required to play Black Metal.

Let's not confuse satanic with anti-christian. And while no doubt there is a fair share of both in many black metal bands, there is like an unreal amount of great black metal bands that write about neither satanism nor anti-christian themes. Examples: Drudkh, Weakling, Shining, Deafheaven, Arcturus (when they were BM), Darkspace, Wolves In The Throne Room (though I don't like them that much)... off the top of my head.

Last edited by vilk : 07-04-2013 at 01:15 AM.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Hmmm you're right, bigot isn't the right word. I apologise.

It just seems strange and a tad judgmental that you stopped liking the music due to something that isn't actually evident in the music; that people may start to think you're a "Christian Sympathizer" or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
vilk
******ed

no that's not it. Didn't I say it in my post? I don't like the band because now every time I hear the music it just sounds like preaching. It's quite evident in the music if you know the words. And not just that, because I'm not him and I don't know what he's thinking, I have to assume EVERYTHING is some kind of christian metaphor etc. Words that I assumed were mostly just there to scream now have a definite meaning, and that meaning is to love god, which irks me to no end. Of course I also do not want to be confused for a christian sympathizer, but definitely former is what I feel more strongly about.

judgmental is the right word. I wouldn't be offended in the least if someone called me a 'judgmental about christians' person

Last edited by vilk : 07-05-2013 at 11:53 PM.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
NABEF9
Destroyer of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
no that's not it. Didn't I say it in my post? I don't like the band because now every time I hear the music it just sounds like preaching. It's quite evident in the music if you know the words. And not just that, because I'm not him and I don't know what he's thinking, I have to assume EVERYTHING is some kind of christian metaphor etc. Words that I assumed were mostly just there to scream now have a definite meaning, and that meaning is to love god, which irks me to no end. Of course I also do not want to be confused for a christian sympathizer, but definitely former is what I feel more strongly about.

judgmental is the right word. I wouldn't be offended in the least if someone called me a 'judgmental about christians' person

So you've stopped listening to a quality metal band because they have Christian lyrics? Wow.
You do realise that you sound as stupid as Christians who refuse to listen to bands that aren't Christian, right?
NABEF9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
Jon777
Assbender

I was pretty stoked when I heard that they were putting out new stuff after that sizable that break they took. I've only listened to Open the Gates (sounds like Devin Townsend meets Porcupine Tree) and one other song but I dig 'em so hard. I appreciate that each of their albums so far seem to bring something different to the table.

The new album isn't out already, is it? I need to listen to that shit.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk
big·ot [big-uht] Show IPA
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I don't like bands that preach christianity =/= I am a bigot.

However, I am bigoted against buttheads who go around spouting BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! any time someone says they don't care for something. It ticks me off because I actually know what the word means--and I'm not a bigot. If not liking bands that preach christianity makes one person a bigot, then not liking people who don't like bands that preach christianity makes the other every bit as much of a bigot. Even though as I've mentioned this is not the correct use of the word.

Let's not confuse satanic with anti-christian. And while no doubt there is a fair share of both in many black metal bands, there is like an unreal amount of great black metal bands that write about neither satanism nor anti-christian themes. Examples: Drudkh, Weakling, Shining, Deafheaven, Arcturus (when they were BM), Darkspace, Wolves In The Throne Room (though I don't like them that much)... off the top of my head.

A valid correction. I guess I was meaning more of the association with anti-Christian themes in Black Metal. I realize that the actual number isn't actually that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #27
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABEF9
So you've stopped listening to a quality metal band because they have Christian lyrics? Wow.
You do realise that you sound as stupid as Christians who refuse to listen to bands that aren't Christian, right?

How's that stupid? If it's off-putting to the point where it gets in the way of his enjoyment of the music then he's completely valid in not listening to it anymore. Just like a christian not listening to Inquisition because of the lyrics while liking the music is just as valid.

OT: I listened to a few tracks off this album and I felt it was pretty boring. Everything sounds really weak and tame, and the lyrics are, basically, the same thing for every song, I.E. "You are the creator, I love you and wish to be with your jebusness". That puts me off a little as well, to be honest. >_>

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
NABEF9
Destroyer of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
How's that stupid? If it's off-putting to the point where it gets in the way of his enjoyment of the music then he's completely valid in not listening to it anymore. Just like a christian not listening to Inquisition because of the lyrics while liking the music is just as valid.
That's a terrible comparison.

We're talking about a non-christian listening to a band that expresses Christian lyrics. Those lyrics do not directly attack the non-christian. I can understand how a satanist might find the music unlistenable because of the lyrics, but unless you're a satanist, the lyrics just represent a view different to your own, not one that should be offensive to you.
On the other hand, Inquisition, with such lyrics as "Holy trinity of God, I trample on your faces" - I can see how a Christian might find that off-putting.

That being said, if you're not a satanist, you should either find the lyrics of both Extol and Inquisition to be either repulsive, or a non-issue. It doesn't make sense to say that one of them is off-putting and one isn't, unless you're either a Christian or a satanist.
NABEF9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABEF9
We're talking about a non-christian listening to a band that expresses Christian lyrics. Those lyrics do not directly attack the non-christian. I can understand how a satanist might find the music unlistenable because of the lyrics, but unless you're a satanist, the lyrics just represent a view different to your own, not one that should be offensive to you.

As a non-christian who disagrees with the dogma of Christianity, I find that hearing it being preached to be cringe-worthy and, depending on how preach-y it is, it can ruin the music for me. It doesn't matter if I'm staunchly against the religion, I still feel uncomfortable listening to something that talks about the "glory of the father and son" and it really turns me off of the music.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: