Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

LTD Basses - Weight

Hi all, I'm switching over to bass in my band and I'd like to get a new bass since my current one's got major fret buzz, neckdive and dodgy electronics.
I'm really into LTD basses, having tried some and am considering the BB-4 and Surveyor-4, but one big issue for me is weight as my main guitar is very heavy and I'd like something lightweight because playing standing got pretty painful after a while with my Kramer due to having a massive Alder body with a metal plate top.
Does anyone know about the weight of either basses? On the measuring scale, the Kramer's roughly 4KG and on Sweetwater it says the BB-4 is 3.8KG (rounded up) even though there was this video of this guy saying how light the BB-4 is.
Does anyone own/have any experience with these basses?

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Electric basses tend to be heavier than electric guitars because their necks are longer, and there is often more body mass with the bass than with the guitar. That having been said, most basses are not unreasonably heavy.

The LTD BB-Series basses are very much copies of Yamaha's BB-Series basses (how ESP/LTD got away with using the same designation is beyond me), and neither the LTDs or the Yamahas are unduly heavy. They tend to balance rather well, and it is a long-proven design - Yamaha has been making the BB-Series basses since the very early 1980s. Both the Yamahas and the LTDs are very good basses. You might want to remove the thumb anchor from the LTD bass, but then again, you might not.

Get yourself a good, wide, padded shoulder strap for you bass. It makes a big difference. I recommend Planet Waves' wide nylon strap. I have one on almost every bass I own:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/74T000/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Electric basses tend to be heavier than electric guitars because their necks are longer, and there is often more body mass with the bass than with the guitar. That having been said, most basses are not unreasonably heavy.

The LTD BB-Series basses are very much copies of Yamaha's BB-Series basses (how ESP/LTD got away with using the same designation is beyond me), and neither the LTDs or the Yamahas are unduly heavy. They tend to balance rather well, and it is a long-proven design - Yamaha has been making the BB-Series basses since the very early 1980s. Both the Yamahas and the LTDs are very good basses. You might want to remove the thumb anchor from the LTD bass, but then again, you might not.

Get yourself a good, wide, padded shoulder strap for you bass. It makes a big difference. I recommend Planet Waves' wide nylon strap. I have one on almost every bass I own:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/74T000/

Oh I see, thing is my current bass is actually lighter than my main guitar haha.
And actually, the thumb anchor is a big plus to the BB for me because I really like using that for my fingerstyle.
Cheers for the advice!
Edit: Can anyone give me an opinion on which I should get of the following please?
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-bb-...bass-sblk/94411
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-sur...ite-maple/58952

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 06-20-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: