Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
ismael.olivera.

Looking for a method

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now, everything I know how to play is because of tabs, otherwise I will just spend all day improvising on some pentatonic minor scale.

Now I'm tired of this and I'm going serious mode, I'm looking for a method that encourages and helps you to learn and play by ear, I wan't to train the best instrument ever, the ear.

If anyone could help me I'd be very pleased, thanks

Sorry if my english is bad
ismael.olivera. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
mbself73

David Lucas Burge Relative Pitch Supercourse. (Not perfect pitch course)

Otherwise, you train your ear by learning moveable do solfege. You feel silly as hell early on, but you learn to sight sing, then you eventually learn to associate the sounds you hear or see on a sheet with its location on the fretboard. I can't explain it any better than that. I do not have perfect pitch, but I can usually find any random note I hear, even if out of context, in 3 attempts or fewer. Once I have context established, I can typically find them in one attempt..... 2 if it is an odd modulation of some type.

Also check out any and everything from Dick Grove. I have used their Beyond Chops course and part of their keyboard course. I really want to do the whole keyboard course and their theory course, but I am having to space them out due to price. Not a gripe on price as much as a gripe on my available cash....lol.
mbself73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
evo23

The best way to develop your ear in a productive and useful context is to start transcribing music.

Start simple with basic melodies such as happy birthday or various theme tunes but make sure you transcribe them into standard notation rather than just tab, this will help with your rhythm understanding as well. Don't forget to work out the chords too!

A good starting point would be to look into the idea of "keys". You will find this useful during your transcription travels

Break out beyond the minor pentatonic and see what else you can find by poking around other songs!
evo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
mbself73

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo23
The best way to develop your ear in a productive and useful context is to start transcribing music.

Start simple with basic melodies such as happy birthday or various theme tunes but make sure you transcribe them into standard notation rather than just tab, this will help with your rhythm understanding as well. Don't forget to work out the chords too!

A good starting point would be to look into the idea of "keys". You will find this useful during your transcription travels

Break out beyond the minor pentatonic and see what else you can find by poking around other songs!

+1

Also, get a cheap keyboard or piano or something if you don't already have one. Use it to see how the intervals space out in a linear fashion. That helps me tremendously on guitar.
mbself73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: