Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Vlaco

Ampeg B3158- New to bass amps, how hard can I push this thing?

I recently picked up an Ampeg B3158, like the title says. I'm not much of a bass player, and most of my experience is with tube amps, not solid state. Right now I've got the Gain set between 1/3 and 1/2 and the volume set on the other side of the halfway point from that. Playing with a pick, digging in causes the two limit lights to flash on initial attack, and if I dig in while hammering on, the flash is a bit more prolonged and stronger. The sound distorts, but not in an unpleasant way, and I'm not writing jazz tunes, so that doesn't bug me. I'm just worried about damaging the amp by playing at the point where these lights flicker, or possibly beyond...

TL:dr- playing at a volume I like, my peak and limit lights are going off occassionally. Is this telling me that I'm potentially damaging the amp?

Last edited by Vlaco : 04-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Vlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Ampeg 3158 combo amplifier is a 150-watt RMS amp that splits the power between the low frequency (15" speaker) and the high frequency (8" speaker). The low frequency gets 100 watts and the high frequency gets 50 watts. As a result, you are not likely to blow through the speakers unless you consistently turn everything up to 10 and blast away for hours at a time. It is a good amplifier and it should serve you well. Frankly, I think 150 watts is on the weak side for bass, but if it is delivering what you need and what you want, then rock on and enjoy that Ampeg!

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/b-3.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
anarkee
oh the horror!

I had that Amp and ended up selling it. Its a good amp for smaller groups, but it clips like a mutha when you drive it a bit too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: