Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Yeah, 'sorta voxy' is a fairly good way of describing it. But then even the AC15 has it's own sound, and my AC4 sounds very different to the combo AC4s. All amps have their own unique character, that's why I always say you have to try things before you buy them if you can.

BTW, a used one of those Hayden HGT A40 heads finished on ebay today. There's obviously a lot of idiots about that haven't been doing their research properly to know you can get them new for 199 delivered, because it finished at 210 plus 16 p&p
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah. or at least hav a rough idea of what it's like before you buy (that's what i normally do )

and yeah ebay is messed up most of the time. that's not the first time i've seen something like that happen

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
1. Yeah, the Jet City would be a change in tone for me, but it doesn't stop me liking the way it sounds judging it by internet demos. Like I said in the OP, I'm not looking for anything too specific, so long as it sounds good I can work with it.

2. Don't say things like that, people always moan at me for bragging about my join date!

1. The JCA100s sometimes close at $400 shipped on eBay.

2. My earliest join date, 2001/01/01, was for an MMA forum, before I was 9.

Have you tried the Bogner Alchemist, 40W? For versatility, I prefer it to the JCA100. Unfortunately, it doesn't get a lot of love here.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah. or at least hav a rough idea of what it's like before you buy (that's what i normally do )

and yeah ebay is messed up most of the time. that's not the first time i've seen something like that happen

I don't get how so many people can't do one, basic research, like price!?!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #25
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I know - it's quite mad the prices some things sell for on ebay. I used to have a Vox VT40+ that I'd bought new for 180. A clever shoppper could have got one for 150 but I chose to pay the extra at my local guitar shop. I'd originally bought it as a toy, thinking it might be fun to play around with different amps & settings, but after a few months I realised I was just using it to try & mimic my AC4 so I sold it on ebay. Started the bidding at 0.99 with no reserve, it sold for 190.

I'm quite proud of the fact that I've bought & sold over 50 guitars on ebay over the years (I've been on there as long as I've been on UG!) and I've made a profit every time.

Saying that, a lot of sellers suffer from the same stupidity - I think almost all of my pedals & lots of my other stuff has been bought when people list things on a buy it now at a ridiculously low price. They should research as much as buyers should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
My earliest join date, 2001/01/01, was for an MMA forum, before I was 9.

The thing with November 2001 is that it's the earliest possible join date on UG. As far as I know, I'm the only one left (although I've been away a few times so there are other guys who can probably claim to have been here consistently for longer). There was a guy called Mescalino who joined a few days earlier than me but he hasn't been around for a year or so now. Other than that it's just Zappp, but as he started this place it wouldn't be possible to join before him!

Quote:
Have you tried the Bogner Alchemist, 40W? For versatility, I prefer it to the JCA100. Unfortunately, it doesn't get a lot of love here.

No - never seen one around, and a quick check on google only finds US results so I'm guessing it wasn't released here in the UK.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I don't get how so many people can't do one, basic research, like price!?!

yeah i know. I mean... you're on ebay, so you can't use the "i'm not on the internet" excuse. You're also on ebay, which lets you check completed listings, and also current prices.

and yet people get drawn into a bidding war and bid up to silly (IMO) amounts? it beggars belief, as you said

what's more annoying is that these eejits mean it's very hard to ever get a decent deal on anything on ebay now, because someone will probably bid way too much.

Granted, it's probably awesome if you're selling stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
The thing with November 2001 is that it's the earliest possible join date on UG. As far as I know, I'm the only one left (although I've been away a few times so there are other guys who can probably claim to have been here consistently for longer). There was a guy called Mescalino who joined a few days earlier than me but he hasn't been around for a year or so now. Other than that it's just Zappp, but as he started this place it wouldn't be possible to join before him!

haha awesome

i'd been lurking about UG getting tabs and the like for ages, but never actually thought to register. I don't think i was around from the very start, though. I was maybe aware of UG for a year or 18 months before I joined, I suppose.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

haha awesome

i'd been lurking about UG getting tabs and the like for ages, but never actually thought to register. I don't think i was around from the very start, though. I was maybe aware of UG for a year or 18 months before I joined, I suppose.

Surprised you haven't seen it mentioned - search for 'Billington' (select to show results as posts, not threads) and most of the results are people talking about me whenever there's an oldest member discussion or when someone posts about their UG anniversary!! When I see them I've started replying to to piss them off

Truth is I've probably only really spent 3 or 4 years here as a regular. I was here right at the start (actually for a while before November 2001, can't remember the story but something screwed up and we all had to recreate our accounts). Hung around for a few months, then disappeared until about 2004ish. Hung around for another few months before disappearing again until I came back about 2 years ago.

...and as you're probably one of the people that have really been here longer because I've come and gone a few times:
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i've never really noticed those posts, i suppose because i never really go into the pit

you definitely get the kudos for being here at the start, though

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sorry to bump your thread, but i thought i'd give you a heads-up- andertons has bought a bunch of the discontinued haydens and is blowing them out. the UK-made models, i'm guessing the cotton clubs might be kinda voxy, but I haven't tried them, so

I'm guessing they're better-made than the hayden you were looking at, and probably the laney vc30 too (but could easily be wrong, i'm no amp tech )

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Bump away!!!

All the Cotton Club models have sold out already (they were combos anyway & like I said earlier, I'd prefer a head & cab which is the main reason why I'm looking at options other than the VC30), but the Mofo 30 is a possibility at that price - I hadn't looked at the Mofo before as it was out of my price range. So long as it doesn't sell out before I get paid at the end of next week....(I've got 200 set aside at the moment, but they only reduced it to 299 )

Will have a look into it, do you know much about them? It's only a single channel, so at first glance it looks like you either have it set clean or dirty, the footswitch just adds a boost, which I don't think I'd want. I'd prefer to be able to switch between clean & dirty channels, judging it purely by the demos on the Andertons page that isn't what it does.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nah i've never tried any of them, unfortunately. Dunno what they're like.

I'm trying to fend off a gas attack for the petite 5

some of the mofos seem to have more than one channel, but they might not be the ones on offer.

and yeah the cotton clubs seem to have sold out, they were a pretty good deal to be fair.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Yeah, I'm also watching a Mofo 55 combo on ebay that's going for 400 on a buy it now - that's a two channel version. The heads all seem to be just one channel with a switchable boost.

The guitar shop up near my Mum is a Hayden dealer so hopefully I'll be able to try out the mofo as well as the HGT whilst I'm up there next week.

You should go for it - get the petite 5 & tell us how it is!

Do you know much about Carlsbro's amps? Amazon recommended this to me today, the spec looks good but the closest video I can find is of the old Top 50 model which sounds way too thrashy for my liking. Can't find any demos of the new models yet
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 05-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah andertons has the mofo 55 combo for 550 IIRC. Obviously a bit more than the ebay price, but then it's new with warranty so I didn't really like the tone of it as much in the vids i saw, it was a bit modern-sounding (admittedly the g12k100 speaker probably isn't helping in that respect).

i'm kinda vacillating on the petite 5... i thought 280 was enough for it when i thought it might have a decent stock speaker. but it does sound pretty nice in the vids. I might wait a day or two, they seem to have loads of them. Maybe if they don't sell the price will drop.

Don't have any experience with carlsboros either unfortunately

I do like the sound of this feature, though:

"Mains on/off & standby switches are standard"

More amps should have those

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

You know what, I read through all that info a few times but only realised what it actually said when you posted it here

I hope all the other amps I've been thinking about can be turned off, they don't seem to mention that as a feature
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #35
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Rate This Thread: