Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
AWACS
I want all of the things

Epi LP Custom on sale

There is a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom at my music store for $550. Now, price isn't the issue here, I'm just wondering if it's something I should go after or not. The guy says it goes for something like $650 or $675 regular, or that could just be what he would want for it later. He's trying to sell it quickly as it just came in. However, I would rather put some money towards something else, but if its too good to pass up, then I might go for it.

I believe this is the guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

However, I'm not sure if it is a Pro or not, I didn't check it over that thoroughly. I'll have to go back and see how much I like the neck as well.

This is the first good guitar that's been in the store for almost a year. I might want to buy something else but its an 8 hour drive to the city to go guitar shopping.

Opinions?

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
SteveHOC
Used Register

If it is that guitar, I'd probably pass. It's not that there's anything wrong with the guitar, and I don't know what shipping would run you to have MF or another online retailer send it to you, but they've got a 15% off going on at the top of the screen. That would make the one you've linked around $467.

I'm running that as USD, but it seems like you can do better.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
AWACS
I want all of the things

I mean, I don't need it, just wondering if it was one of those deals that you can't pass it up. I doubt the guy would go any lower, as other people are interested, and I'd rather buy something I'd actually want, not just because it's there.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
SteveHOC
Used Register

Yeah, that being the case, I'd pass. The price isn't all that enticing, especially seeing that you can do better elsewhere.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
AWACS
I want all of the things

The only problem is that "elsewhere" is 770km/476 miles away.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ah, do the major retailers not ship your way? I don't normally advocate buying that way (not having played the guitar), but circumstances are what they are.

If you want the guitar, and you find the price to be fair, go for it. I just wouldn't call that a great deal.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
AWACS
I want all of the things

I honestly don't trust online buying of gear, and I don't even want the Epi all that much, its just cool that there's one for sale at the store in my town.

What I'm actually GAS'ing for is a jazz-box (which I have another thread about). But I don't want it to get shipped in the first place, as the guitar seems fragile and I don't trust the case.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
RedJamaX

I've ordered several instruments from Musician's Friend and they have been unharmed... in fact, the ESP I ordered is still my favorite guitar to date. However, I should mention that I sent an Epiphone back... not due to shipping damage, it just wasn't that great... not worth the 600 I paid, it was a 2008 silverburst custom.

I agree with the other guys here... it's not that great of a price... I've only ever really been impressed with one Epi and that was after the owner replaced the pups, pots, tuners and nut...
RedJamaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ah, yeah, save up for what you really want. I had a Gretsch 5120 for a bit that I thought would be a fragile guitar, but it put up with my playing rather well, I just couldn't get comfortable playing it so I sold it off.

Anyway, yeah, buying offline is risky, but it sounds like you're pretty limited option-wise.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
What I'm actually GAS'ing for is a jazz-box (which I have another thread about). But I don't want it to get shipped in the first place, as the guitar seems fragile and I don't trust the case.

As long as you're dealing with a reputable dealer or builder, you should be OK. I own 16 guitars, all but 4 of which had to be shipped- solidbodies, semihollows, hollowbodies and acoustics.*

(Well, technically, they ALL got shipped at some point, if only from builder to seller.)

If you're really concerned, talk to the guys at your favorite local guitar store. See if they will order the guitar for you (yes, at their usual markup). Lots of places will do this. I did this for my first two electrics.

This works for you because, typically, the laws regarding merchant-to-merchant transactions are a little different than merchant-to-buyer. The selling merchant will be more inclined to take care shipping to a new retailer- that's a potential new outlet- and the retailer will know exactly how to handle "nonconforming goods" as part of everyday business.

In addition, you'd probably be able to get it inspected and set up by the store's tech before you even take it home. Saves you a trip.

* FWIW, I have ordered one through GC, one through Frets Guitar Centre (England!), one through Tulsa Band Instruments (OK), two through Murphy's Music (TX), one through Instrument Pro/AAFES (military online website), and the rest from the luthiers themselves. I'd also order from Sweetwater without any qualms- my music minister (a Christian rock artist of note) uses them all the time.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-27-2013 at 01:59 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Epiphones are impossible to flip for good money if that's your intent.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: