Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

yeah man, also if TS is gonna improvise a solo, don't forget to reference the melody. You want to make it sound like you're playing that particular song, and not just a bunch of chord changes.

Miles Davis wrote that if he walked into a club and Max Roach was taking a drum solo, he could hear exactly what the song was – this is pretty inspiring given that he only had rhythm to deal with. We’ve got no excuse…!
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
cdgraves

I'd try to get a real ballad in there, too. Jazz Ballads are typically very slow, sentimental songs. Ipanema is a great mid-tempo tune that would demonstrate stylistic diversity. Something like Misty, Autumn Leaves, When I Fall in Love, Darn That Dream... pick any famous jazzer from the 50s and they'll have a good ballad. Focus on playing tastefully and showing confidence with loose rhythms.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Austindicola

Thanks so much everyone! I've decided on this:

Ballad: The Girl From Ipanema
Mid-Tempo: Sunny
High Tempo: Cherokee

Cherokee will be the hardest for me, since I'm doing a chord melody. I just figured out how I'm going to play the chords and melody all at once, and it's not easy at all for me but I'm getting better by the hour.

Oh and I don't think I mentioned that my audition CD is due February 1st. So I'm likely to have my CD thrown out a minute in, but I want to at least show I have interest it taking full advantage of the course, and that I want to develop. Thanks again!
Austindicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Austindicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
yeah man, also if TS is gonna improvise a solo, don't forget to reference the melody. You want to make it sound like you're playing that particular song, and not just a bunch of chord changes.

Miles Davis wrote that if he walked into a club and Max Roach was taking a drum solo, he could hear exactly what the song was – this is pretty inspiring given that he only had rhythm to deal with. We’ve got no excuse…!

Yup I've got to improvise solos for the mid and high tempo songs, not the ballad. I can't improvise well at all, but If I base the solos off the melodies then I might be able to work something out. Unfortunately it won't be an on the spot kind of thing for me you know? So it would be fake, as it's not really improvising
Austindicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: