Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
tonysilva530

Marshall Lead 15 Micro Stack questions.

Ok, so I'm new to this forum, I've read the rules and can't find any definitive answers that I am looking for. This is my first post, so here goes...(keep in mind I know VERY little when it comes to music instruments and gear).

My 10 year old son has been bugging me for an electric guitar. I looked up various models and purchased him a used Ibanez RG370DXGP it has that two way bar called the floyd rose and it is the camoflaged painted version body. He's had the guitar for about a week without the amplifier speaker box. So today I bought him the three piece amplifier made by Marshall. It is a Lead 15. I got it used for $100. It looks brand new. I've read so many( online) reviews about this amplifier AFTER I paid for it. It seems not too many guitar players are happy with the sound and possibly the reliability. So I'm wondering, did I waste a hundred bucks on some piece of junk that's going to break? The only reason why I bought this brand amplifier is because I recognized the name "Marshall" from when I used to watch MTV back in the late 80's and I recall seeing those giant amplifiers in all those rock/metal videos. I figured the brand name was reliable.

Again, my son is only 10 years old, so I doubt he knows about adjustments and such on the amplifier, although I'm sure he'll get there. I thought I was buying good equipment...I didn't want to by him that junk they sell at Walmart. I figured, if he quits wanting to learn to play guitar that the reason shouldn't be because he's had a kids guitar and a toy amplifier.
tonysilva530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Victor Escobar
UG's Pitophile

Don't know much about the amp or it's quality but keep in mind that he's only a beginner. You bought him some pretty decent gear for one and it doesn't seem like you shelled out a fortune if he were to lose interest in the guitar. I think it'll suit him fine for now until he learns about tone and gear.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Well, the guitar is fine except that setup and maintenance on a floating bridge guitar is often daunting for a beginner. Although the amplifier is a "Marshall" in name only it should serve adequately to determine his actual interest level. Should he remain interested after what you feel is a reasonable time just ask here and we can help get him some better gear for the best price consistent with his musical tastes.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert

As a few people have said here, while the amplifier may not be something that we would have chose to buy given our levels of knowledge it isn't a terrible purchase. Your son will be grateful to have the equipment and the guitar in particular is often a go-to model that people get when they trade in / destroy their 'kids guitar'.
Everything will be fine basically :-)
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Well, the guitar is fine except that setup and maintenance on a floating bridge guitar is often daunting for a beginner. Although the amplifier is a "Marshall" in name only it should serve adequately to determine his actual interest level. Should he remain interested after what you feel is a reasonable time just ask here and we can help get him some better gear for the best price consistent with his musical tastes.

True, but good way to get him started with trem maintenance young is it not?
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
tonysilva530

I bought the guitar for $150. And the 3piece amplifier for $100. I took the guitar to Guitar Center to see if they could remove the Floyd bar and make the guitar into a stationary bridge but they said they don't do that type of work there. The worker showed me how to remove the tremolo bar...DUH!!! Anyhow, the manager offered to trade me my (sons) used Ibanez and the guitar case for a brand new entry model Jackson model R[QUOTE]RJS30...at least I think that's the model number he mentioned. It doesn't have a Floyd on it or the two-way Floyd bar. The strings pass thru the guitar body and then on up thru the bridge. There are no adjustment knobs. It is black and has kind of a weird V shape to it. It's also nice and lite. Also the manager said if I trade the Ibanez for the new Jackson he will sell me the V guitar case for half price.
As mentioned above, the Ibanez only cost me $150...used. And the new Jackson has a store price tag on it of $299 plus I'll get a warranty with it. Don't know how the Jackson sounds our the quality of it. idk
Old 11-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Nah, keep the guitar you've (he's) got, just learn to set it up properly/restring it etc.

You can start here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226

And don't be afraid to ask questions, most folks here are happy to help and you can safely ignore the rest...
Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
tonysilva530

Ok...so, update: Guitar Center salesmen are jerks. After some research, I learned my sons Ibanez RG series guitar is WAY better than the ENTRY level Jackson RRJS30. My sons guitar DOES NOT have a Floyd Rose tremolo, it has an Ibanez Edge III. Tuning the guitar with the floating tremolo is meticulous, BUT once you get it right and lock the strings, keeping it in tune is simple. A guitarist friend of mine told me I bought my son a Corvette. I was like "What"? He said, you're an autmotive tech, you bought him a corvette when he doesn't even know how to drive yet....think about it like that. So now I'm like, ok. My son has a bad ass guitar. And he will learn.

Anyhow, my one big gripe I have with the amp I bought him is the distortion. The Marshall mini stack. Amongst the varuous knobs...for volume control you got "gain 1" and "gain 2" and "Master Volume".

Basically, you can't have PURE CLEAN ie: acoustic sound without some distortion. The only to have pure clean sound with this mini stack its to turn up the master volume ALL THE WAY and have the"gain"s set at 2. Is that safe out will it burn out the amp.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Roc8995

I wouldn't say they're jerks, they're just clueless. I'm not surprised they couldn't tell the difference between a Floyd and an Edge. GC has notoriously high employee turnover and a lot of times they don't get the details quite right.

Setting the amp that way is perfectly safe, that's actually what you're supposed to do for a clean tone.

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysilva530
Ok...so, update: Guitar Center salesmen are jerks. After some research, I learned my sons Ibanez RG series guitar is WAY better than the ENTRY level Jackson RRJS30. My sons guitar DOES NOT have a Floyd Rose tremolo, it has an Ibanez Edge III. Tuning the guitar with the floating tremolo is meticulous, BUT once you get it right and lock the strings, keeping it in tune is simple. A guitarist friend of mine told me I bought my son a Corvette. I was like "What"? He said, you're an autmotive tech, you bought him a corvette when he doesn't even know how to drive yet....think about it like that. So now I'm like, ok. My son has a bad ass guitar. And he will learn.

Anyhow, my one big gripe I have with the amp I bought him is the distortion. The Marshall mini stack. Amongst the varuous knobs...for volume control you got "gain 1" and "gain 2" and "Master Volume".

Basically, you can't have PURE CLEAN ie: acoustic sound without some distortion. The only to have pure clean sound with this mini stack its to turn up the master volume ALL THE WAY and have the"gain"s set at 2. Is that safe out will it burn out the amp.

Hey there, thought I'd give my two cents in this; I'd say with if the guitar is better or not it's all personal preference until you get past a certain level I think, but you can always do something about what you've got, if you can afford it. I know I can't.

The Edge 3 is a tremolo system very much like a floyd rose, it seems that nowadays Floyd Rose seems to be used as a blanket term rather than to identify a brand of Floyd Rose.

Just my 0.02 on this, feel free to agree/disagree with it
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: