Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
ilikekfc

brass guitar nut?

hello, i have a squier 60's classic vibe tele and i replaced the saddles for fender brass ones, but i was thinking about changing the nut aswell? would brass ones be suitable for that proper tele sound or should i put a bone one on? or any others that people can suggest. any help would be well appreciated, thanks
ilikekfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Sunshine86
Mustang Fanboy

I'd go with bone.
#48 of the Fender Armada

#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sunshine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

I'd go with bone or graphite. Brass nuts can be problematic with the amount of stress the strings put on them. Brass is much softer than steel (and nickel), and metal on metal contact (and there is much more of that on a metal nut than metal saddles) increases adhesion and will cause strings to "stick," so both the strings and the nut will wear faster.

BTW, the same problem happens with zero frets as well, but that's what happens when they take the easy way out on fretting a neck.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekfc
hello, i have a squier 60's classic vibe tele and i replaced the saddles for fender brass ones, but i was thinking about changing the nut aswell? would brass ones be suitable for that proper tele sound or should i put a bone one on? or any others that people can suggest. any help would be well appreciated, thanks

I could be wrong, but I don't think the standard for teles is a brass nut. I'd go with bone if you're looking for a traditional sound.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

A brass nut won't change the sound appreciably. Brass nuts on guitars were all the rage in the late 1970s, as they were thought to increase sustain. But if they have any effect, it would be on open strings. Traditionally, Fender guitars usually use bone or plastic nuts, so if you want to stay true to form, go with a bone nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: