Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Open mic night?

SORRY IF THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE, I WOULDNT KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS!

Anyways.

I'm really tempted to do an open mic night in about 2 weeks time, with a friend of mine. We'll be playing folk music, me on acoustic guitar, and she'll play violin.

Thing is. I don't know if I should? Like. I was told I can sing, and I do also take singing lessons. But like.. What I just get to nervous, and just be awful?

Could I have any tips on how to like - Be cool about it?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you let yourself get worried about it, you're more likely to make yourself go wrong. Relax.

If you're nervous, pick something instrumental to start with. Just get up there & strum a few chords & let your friend play the meoldy on the violin. Then once you're relaxed & settled into it do something with vocals for your second song.

Once you're up there, you'll realise the crowd actually provides adrenaline & gives you a buzz that helps you play better.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
flexiblemile

I've seen a drunk guy puke on stage at an open mic.

Surely you can't be that bad
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

i did an open mic a few weeks ago( my first), it was a bit nerve-wracking at first but a quickly settled in. in my last job i got "stagefright" every single time i went to work. as soon as i got started i knew what i had to do and it went away farily quickly.... had to concentrate on the job at hand.
playing an open mic was the same way, you'll probably get a bit nervous before each one but it'll go away quickly.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
ccannon1
Band Geek

Don't worry about it. Open mics are a good way to get started as they're generally 'low pressure' situations. If you do end up being bad, it's no big deal. You can only gain from the experience.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

first off, if you're not sure your singing sounds good to you, why not record the next time you and your friend play together? then listen a few days later.

honestly, open mics are there to sort out your stuff. most of the people at the ones i did were other musicians, half of whom were pretty supportive and the other half will ignore the performers while talking to friends and bandmates. we used to do open mics to sort of get the bugs out of our new songs.

btw, once i made a heinous error - i started singing the wrong lyrics. we started over after i said something humorous to explain what happened, and that made the audience clap more enthusiastically than they had all night. go figure.

my best suggestions to be cool are first, make sure you really really know the songs you're going to do. second, play at open mics where you don't know anyone. and keep in mind that the folks listening aren't just a big, scary audience - they're people. realizing that always made me feel better.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
BoyLilikoi

I've been flirting with the idea of doing an open mic lately as well, but I have some reservations. I think everyone will have some stage fright going in, and have concerns they're not all that good. At least I do. But I also have a hard time trying to decide what song or songs to play. I don't have anything that I've written that I'd feel comfortable enough playing, and I'd be surprised if more than 2 people in the room knew the songs that I'd likely end up playing. But who knows, maybe that would be better.

Also, how many songs are you expected to sing? I've heard of some guys going up and hogging the stage all night and playing for nearly an hour. There's no way I could do that, I think I'd be more comfortable doing 1-3 songs, but 2 sounds good. Who knows, maybe once you start playing you'd rather play a bunch of songs, but I'd be afraid if I have too many I'd start forgetting lyrics.

And what do you do if you forget the lyrics because of nerves? Or mess up part of the song? And what do you talk about inbetween songs? The whole thing seems extremely daunting for the performer, yet it's silly because unless you puke on stage like the guy above, no one will likely remember your performance for long.
BoyLilikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

The songs we want to play, we've nailed. We play them perfect. Really. We've been practicing and practicing! I think it's more that.. People actually get to hear me sing?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks
I think it's more that.. People actually get to hear me sing?

This is what you've been practicing for.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Captaincranky

I'd like to give open mic night a try, and maybe I will,. At least after I verify that public stonings have been eradicated in all US jurisdictions....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
stepchildusmc

public...yes. there are no rules aboout taking you into the alley behind the bar though.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
D.R.22

You shouldn't worry about open mics, because that's what they are for! It's only to see and feel what it is to be on stage, when I did mine I played Dylan's "Visions of Johanna". The crowd had 40 some odd people in it and they just listened. I was playing with my friend's harmonica, which wasn't "broken into" & I'm not much of a singer but everyone clapped when I finished the song, maybe out of politeness but hey I was happy I did it. You see the stage is an addiction and it's always great to go on it so don't worry!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
skilly1

I'm gonna have a go at this soon, I imagine having a few drinks before hand would ease the tension
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: