Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #13441
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

reading Nietzsche for the first time where I get it . Reading philosophy after taking a literary criticism course is totally different than reading it as a college sophomore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #13442
theherbivores

Can't wait for next Patrick Rothfuss book with K'vothe
theherbivores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #13443
Aeolian Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
reading Nietzsche for the first time where I get it . Reading philosophy after taking a literary criticism course is totally different than reading it as a college sophomore.

I wish I'd taken more elective philosophy and lit theory courses as an undergraduate for this reason. Most people are literate in the technical sense, but there's another level of reading comprehension involved to understand some things. Having someone teach me about it would've been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theherbivores
Can't wait for next Patrick Rothfuss book with K'vothe

I remember a couple of days ago in the shop I saw his name on something. Name of the Something-or-other? Some of Tolkien's stuff is sorta all the fantasy I've read, so I don't know much

Last edited by Aeolian Harmony : 02-09-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Aeolian Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #13444
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian Harmony
I wish I'd taken more elective philosophy and lit theory courses as an undergraduate for this reason. Most people are literate in the technical sense, but there's another level of reading comprehension involved to understand some things. Having someone teach me about it would've been great.

I remember a couple of days ago in the shop I saw his name on something. Name of the Something-or-other? Some of Tolkien's stuff is sorta all the fantasy I've read, so I don't know much

Name of the Wind. Wonderful book.

My school doesn't have much for undergrads. Lit Crit had never been offered before when I took it. I think there are a few philosophy courses, but that's about it. No theory is required for our undergrad English majors, and it's really a shame. Basically turning us into less useful English-Ed majors at times. Grad level theory is brutal for people who stay here for an M.A. because it's their first exposure.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 02-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #13445
Banjocal
feck

I find a lot of it is also learning how to read it. Jargon aside, what makes some writers difficult to read is the syntax and lack of emphasis on words implied by the text (italicisation etc) which can make a sentence read like some feverish nightmare word salad.

problem with philo is knowing where to start. It seems like a lot of courses are REALLY exclusionary to big chunks of history and very subject-focused which is a big ball of meh

idk

anyhow I'm working through Camus still. I've got Emil Cioran next, who was quite a cheery fellow

Last edited by Banjocal : 02-09-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Banjocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #13446
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

And many authors feel the need to write sentences with two or three parentheticals, lots of dependent clauses, and they go on for like half a page.

takes me forever to figure out what is still one thought at times.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #13447
Aeolian Harmony

I can understand that long compound-complex-compound-etc. style when it's a stylistic choice that has a function (i.e., stream-of-consciousness in Modernist fiction), but as far as nonfiction, where the content is (or should be?) of more importance than the style... I don't get it it's done that way. lucidity ftw

---

I agree with the sentiment that philo courses seem too subject-focused. I guess it's kind of difficult to get around that with thousands of years of relevant material.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #13448
steve_muse
beating a dead forum

part of the argument (at least for deconstructive theory) is that the lack of clarity is there because the theorist/writer doesn't want to give the impression of having a firm position, always needing to show that unstable nature of their thinking in the writing itself. Sounds like a bullshit excuse ye, but makes sense in some cases

my uni was great for lit theory. Theyve even started introducing a lot of it in first year, whereas i only really got properly exposed to it in my 3rd year

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.

Last edited by steve_muse : 02-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #13449
Aeolian Harmony

I guess that makes sense to some degree, though an educated audience would kind of assume from the get-go that the author's thinking isn't static.

O me of little faith.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #13450
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

hey! so with my current job i get alot of free time to read. ive recently finished 3 books by christopher moore; Lamb, island of the sequined love nun, and lust lizard of melancholy cove
gotta say the first 2 are the better ones with lamb being by far the best of the 3. i plan to read a couple more or his books.has anyone else read his books before?
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #13451
guitarxo
cat

How hard is it for you to read books that have a good plot/are interesting but where the writing itself is not that great?

I'm currently reading a really interesting book about Disneyland and I don't regret purchasing it but I have to take breaks every so often to let off steam because the writing is bad and the authors are sexist. Not so much that I would stop reading, as I have done in the past, and not so little that it would be dumb to make a huge deal out of it, but just enough for it to be mildly infuriating.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 AM   #13452
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
part of the argument (at least for deconstructive theory) is that the lack of clarity is there because the theorist/writer doesn't want to give the impression of having a firm position, always needing to show that unstable nature of their thinking in the writing itself. Sounds like a bullshit excuse ye, but makes sense in some cases

my uni was great for lit theory. Theyve even started introducing a lot of it in first year, whereas i only really got properly exposed to it in my 3rd year

we'd be more like that if one or two faculty members had more pull. Others want more specialized studies based on race and gender. That stuff is cool, but I feel like literary theory and criticism strengthens those areas where the inverse isn't true.

Lit Crit changed my life for the better, but it's only offered every two years or so. grad level theory didn't even make like a year ago.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #13453
Aeolian Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
How hard is it for you to read books that have a good plot/are interesting but where the writing itself is not that great?

I'm currently reading a really interesting book about Disneyland and I don't regret purchasing it but I have to take breaks every so often to let off steam because the writing is bad and the authors are sexist. Not so much that I would stop reading, as I have done in the past, and not so little that it would be dumb to make a huge deal out of it, but just enough for it to be mildly infuriating.

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes it does bother me a lot. I remember reading some of Comte's writings on the law of three stages, thinking it was racist teleological gibberish, and having to force myself to read it anyway. I guess it's better to read and digest it rather than reject it outright.

I'm reminded of Chuck Palahniuk's books. They tend to have plots which appeal to me, but his writing style is kind of bland. And the dialogue is usually inane.

Maybe it's easier to continue if there's an outside incentive (class work or something) than reading for my own amusement. I get that feeling worse with television news and that kind of thing.

Last edited by Aeolian Harmony : 02-10-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #13454
GoldenGuitar
Organiser of Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian Harmony
I'm reminded of Chuck Palahniuk's books. They tend to have plots which appeal to me, but his writing style is kind of bland. And the dialogue is usually inane.

I find Palahniuk's prose very engaging, he also foreshadows many plot points through subtle shifts in writing style. His writing appeals to me more than the plot; sometimes it's in the mundane where we find the sublime.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #13455
Dreadnought
Casually aloof

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo

I actually can't think of a time when this has happened to me

MAYBE Catcher in the Rye, but I'm pretty sure I hated that plot as well
Old 02-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #13456
ali.guitarkid7
Awessum Pawesome

Started reading Serena by Ron Rash last night. Anyone pick this up? Does she stab anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielee739402
Assume I should on shit I be?
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #13457
Aeolian Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
I find Palahniuk's prose very engaging, he also foreshadows many plot points through subtle shifts in writing style. His writing appeals to me more than the plot; sometimes it's in the mundane where we find the sublime.

I remember this occurring in Rant. The epistolary approach probably made it more obvious (i.e., one character's account of events signals the direction in which the action will go).

Now that I think about it more, Pygmy was stylistically interesting. And a great example of technique fitting well with the plot.

Maybe I'm put off because Snuff was so eh. I should probably read Fight Club sometime
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #13458
Josh100_3

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi was amazing and I wasn't expecting much at all. Great fun.
Josh100_3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: