Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Give it time bro. You've gotta be willing to try unorthodox eq settings to get the feel you want out of any amplifier. When I'm searching for a tone, I don't listen to the curve of the eq as much as how the attack responds at each setting. I also keep gain quite low for tightness. Too much gain could explain the sag you're feeling.

Keep the 4x12, you'll be glad you did the first time you need one. Same footprint as anything else and you don't have to bend over to tweak.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #42
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Keep playing with it, all I can recommend. I had a Dual Rec and a Mark III for a while, neither one of them really hit home with me. I couldn't stand the Rec without a boost, which may be part of your problem. It may also be you just don't like the amp, but I know there is a lot of tone in there, so try it a bit longer, maybe get yourself a cheap tubescreamer clone and try it out on the amp as a boost, I almost think they should come with all Rectifier amps as part of the sale.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #43
funk_monk

I've been boosting it with my multi FX pedal. It does tighten it a fair amount. The only downside is that I can't use half the effects on it because it's in front of the preamp.
funk_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #44
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk_monk
I've been boosting it with my multi FX pedal. It does tighten it a fair amount. The only downside is that I can't use half the effects on it because it's in front of the preamp.

get a tube screamer, there are tons of variants and quite a few are cheap. $50 could get you something decent. bad monkeys can be had for $30, although i wasn't a fan of the one i bought, it would still be better than nothing. i think they go new for a tad over $40, maybe $45. i am sure that joyo has a TS type of pedal, they are pretty cheap (never tried one, but from what i hear they are not the best), but hell its better than nothing.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #45
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
get a tube screamer

+1

Very few multiFX are able to create the dynamics of an analog pedal. Even Line6's HD units work better with their onboard amp algorithms than it does with actual amps.

TS, from this thread, it seems to me that you were expecting a plug and play amp. One that you brought home, plugged in, played a chord and expected an orgasm. From my experience, that's not a Mesa.

Mesas take a lot of time to dial in, and very often, the EQ settings will look completely F'ed up. Don't rely on what you see on your EQ knobs, read the manual, understand how each knob relates to others, and dial in a sound using your ears.

One very good example is that of Marks. The "scooped" sound works on a Mark because it has so much mids that you can afford to scoop your EQ and it will still cut through. Scoop your mids on other amps, and that would unlikely be the case.

Stop thinking of your Roadster as "another amp" and dial in a tone that you hear. If it helps you, rip some sample settings from here and try again http://www.grailtone.com/tone-setti...o-settings.html

Also, maybe the recto cab isn't for you. Most people underestimate how much impact the cab and speakers impact tone. A change of speakers, changing to an oversized or smaller cab, can have a drastic impact on your sound.

As an illustration, I used to pair my MkV with two Krank 112 with Eminence Legends speakers. I could never stand the MkI mode in channel 2. It always sounded boxy, hollow and lifeless. I changed to a PRS SE 212 cab, and the sound of the MkI, practically opened up immediately, it became more open and had a strong bass-thump, while the MkI mode isn't my favourite, the change in sound was literally night and day.

Also as the others have mentioned, changing your tubes also have quite an impact on your sound as well.

I'm usually not for fiddling around with bits and pieces of a signal chain just to make an amp do something its not designed to... but with a Mesa, these changes are sometimes necessary and essential to getting a good sound.

The worst thing you can do now is to flip the amp, because I don't think you've explored what the amp is fully capable of.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by ragingkitty : 04-17-2013 at 01:35 AM.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #46
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
+1

Very few multiFX are able to create the dynamics of an analog pedal. Even Line6's HD units work better with their onboard amp algorithms than it does with actual amps.

TS, from this thread, it seems to me that you were expecting a plug and play amp. One that you brought home, plugged in, played a chord and expected an orgasm. From my experience, that's not a Mesa.

Mesas take a lot of time to dial in, and very often, the EQ settings will look completely F'ed up. Don't rely on what you see on your EQ knobs, read the manual, understand how each knob relates to others, and dial in a sound using your ears.

One very good example is that of Marks. The "scooped" sound works on a Mark because it has so much mids that you can afford to scoop your EQ and it will still cut through. Scoop your mids on other amps, and that would unlikely be the case.

Stop thinking of your Roadster as "another amp" and dial in a tone that you hear. If it helps you, rip some sample settings from here and try again http://www.grailtone.com/tone-setti...o-settings.html

Also, maybe the recto cab isn't for you. Most people underestimate how much impact the cab and speakers impact tone. A change of speakers, changing to an oversized or smaller cab, can have a drastic impact on your sound.

As an illustration, I used to pair my MkV with two Krank 112 with Eminence Legends speakers. I could never stand the MkI mode in channel 2. It always sounded boxy, hollow and lifeless. I changed to a PRS SE 212 cab, and the sound of the MkI, practically opened up immediately, it became more open and had a strong bass-thump, while the MkI mode isn't my favourite, the change in sound was literally night and day.

Also as the others have mentioned, changing your tubes also have quite an impact on your sound as well.

I'm usually not for fiddling around with bits and pieces of a signal chain just to make an amp do something its not designed to... but with a Mesa, these changes are sometimes necessary and essential to getting a good sound.

The worst thing you can do now is to flip the amp, because I don't think you've explored what the amp is fully capable of.

+311. you will have some odd settings there. period. IMO their amps would be better without numbers... lol.

i find i get better tone when not looking for numbers, hence why on the amps i have built i either get knobs with no numbering/pointing, or just leave it to bare pots. sometimes its just not the best.

listen with your ears not feel with you hand on the knob.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: