Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Axelfox

Line 6 Pro HD Vs Axe-FX II

Because i wonder which one is the best effects rack. And the cost thing,i can save up to get what i like. So i wonder which one is the best one?
Axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Somekid94
Dingus

Axe FX II. Hands down.

Its a much better programmed software and is just generally more awesome.
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
BionicRooster
Died for Metal

Money wise: Line 6 POD

Better overall: Axe FX II

If you canafford a Axe FX get it, it is arguably (in some peoples opinions) the best amp simulator available

I imagine the dialog went something like this.
BionicRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Don't count the POD HD Pro out just because it's half the price. It's definitely not half of the unit the AxeFX is IMO.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
hr113

I'm pretty sure this question has already been answered in DSP thread.

Axe II surely sounds better, but not 1500$ better.
if you want the best there is get Axe, you wont be dissapointed.
Amazing quality/price product? pod hd
and pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
hr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

The Axe Fx II is by far the superior unit, no questions. However, if money is an issue then I'd certainly advocate for the Pod HD, even though I'm an Axe owner myself. It might not have all the options, effects and sims the Axe II does but for its price I'd definitely go for it (unless you really want all that the Axe has to offer).

Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Ola makes them sound pretty similar, but then, he could make a 15 watt spider sound good too.

I think you could do well with any big modeler out there today: POD HD, 11R, Kemper, Axe, etc. You just have to approach them differently.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

thouoght about an Eleven rack? i haven't tried one but i have heard good demos and seems to be regarded as solid. i haven't played any of the new pods though so i have no comparison.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
kLinic
Not a Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
thouoght about an Eleven rack? i haven't tried one but i have heard good demos and seems to be regarded as solid. i haven't played any of the new pods though so i have no comparison.

I think they feel a LOT more like a real tube amp then the Pod, but I've never had the chance to play an Axe-Fx. I'd say the 11R over the Pod.
  • Cort Bass
  • Laney LC30
kLinic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Well the Axe is obviously better, but as has been stated - it's hard to say if the huge price hike is worth the tonal difference.

If the cash is no big deal, I say go for the Axe. If you're strapped for cash, the POD HD is still a very respectable unit that can get the job done.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Ola makes them sound pretty similar, but then, he could make a 15 watt spider sound good too.

I think you could do well with any big modeler out there today: POD HD, 11R, Kemper, Axe, etc. You just have to approach them differently.

Especially with all the impulse stuff that's out nowadays. Heck, you can make Guitar Rig sound amazing with them.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

first off i am no expert on DSP, at all, but from what i have read that axefx offers significantly more tweaking options (IIRC for an example the ability to move the EQ around to work on different bands on the amp sim). i am sure there are 100 more things that axefx can do that the POD HD couldn't, but do you need them? that to me is the question.

i am kind of equating it to my 1974X 18 watt marshall clone, they have a volume and tone (my schem added the PPIMV) so three knobs. very minimal, but it sounds great everywhere. but some would want an EQ.

now this is a huge difference.

take my Sig:X, it has three channels 6 switches and 6 pots per channel. a tweaker's dream and a headache for somebody else.

its just what you want. you may not need that ability to control tone beyond the POD HD's ability so go with that.

i did play a POD HD since my last post here just to see how they were progressing, prior to that the most recent one i had heard was the first one that was a floor unit instead of the little red odd shaped handhold thing. so needless to say there was a huge difference. the POD HD was even better than what i expected.

maybe take the middle road with an 11 Rack if you want more than the POD but don't want to pay the full amount of axefx.

also i am sure as the days pass the first axefx will drop in price quickly because of people wanting the new version and sell the older version. maybe that would be the way to go.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

Get whatever you can afford. There's the Pod HD, Eleven, Axe FX and then the Kemper is probably the ultimate but you're rather using snapshots rather than amp models. Best results I've seen though, there are some near exact presets out for download and you can make your own if you have the gear.

Another note to add is that the Axe has free updates, unlike the 11 and Pod. They're all good though. The 11R has the advantage of being a decent home recording interface too, but the Axe does metal better if that's your thing, not to say that the 11 can't do metal.

Anyway, just check out some vids of each.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Has anyone actually used the Kemper? It leaves me feeling skeptical. It looks terrible too.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Seanthesheep

Tbh the pod is easier to get decent tones out of, but once you get those decent tones, improvement on the tone is very limited. Everything about the pods feels limited.

The axe fx II is simply amazing but requires alot more thinking. Like right off the bat I learned you have to use the cab block to cut frequencies below 50HZ and above 15k HZ to sit well in a mix and to get rid of alot of flub and sizzle.

But once you figure it out, IMO its well worth the money. The enhancer block makes everything sound huge, and the detuning is amazing. It tracks really well. Figuring it out is a pain though

EDIT:

My opinion on the axe vs kemper is what you have acsess to. From what ive heard, the kemper is easier to dial and is more accurate than the axe II but limited in the sense that to have the insane versatility of the the axeII, you need a good sound engineeer and acsess to alot of amps. The axe II just has everything built in so if you just need an all in one, crazy versatile splution then you deff want the axe. But if youre like a touring band that has only like 4 tones they used to record an album ans they want to take those amps with them without the wieght then the kemper is the better chpice.

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...

Last edited by Seanthesheep : 06-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr113
I'm pretty sure this question has already been answered in DSP thread.

Axe II surely sounds better, but not 1500$ better.
if you want the best there is get Axe, you wont be dissapointed.
Amazing quality/price product? pod hd

Completely disagree.

The amp models sound much more realistic and the effects completely destroy the POD's IMO

Not to mention you get a fairly high quality recording interface built into it, with built in reamping. More than worth the price difference IMO - But if price is a concern and you don't need the amp profiling/interface, then you can pick up a Standard or Ultra for extremely cheap on the used market. Not as good as the Axe II, nor as user-friendly, but it will get you pretty close, if you're willing to put in the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup

I've not used one before, but the consensus seems to be all over the place on them.

Most people tend to think the high gain is pretty lacking on them, but I've heard some decent results. My biggest concern would be that it's an Avid product, and it's been out several years and it's received less updates than can be counted on a single hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumaxx1
Another note to add is that the Axe has free updates, unlike the 11 and Pod.

Line 6 has released a series of free updates for the POD HD that increased sound quality and added models and features.

Rate This Thread: