Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
FenrirFangs

Rack/Technology n00bz help! (POD Content)

Okay, so I decided that I'm going to off the Jet City. I was going to send it to Titan amps to be modified, but I think what I'm trying to do is take an amp that I like okay, and try and make it into something I like a lot, and after thinking it over, I don't wanna do that.

So, I decided I'm just going to use my POD HD500 for live stuff, as it gets the tones I need, and I'm not a huge tone-freak, as long as it sounds good, I'm going to be the only one that can tell the difference.

What do I need to run it live? I know I need a power amp, but can I run it through the cab. I honestly could probably find it in the manual, but I always struggle with the wording. I was hoping someone could explain everything to me like I'm a 3rd grader.

I was also hoping for some direction as to a good preamp for old school metal. Looking Maiden stuff along with more Ratt stuff.

Thanks guys,

Nova

Last edited by FenrirFangs : 11-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

use your jet city and go in the FX loop return (if it is not the JCA 20h)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Viban
UG's resident bum

You could sell the amp and cab and get a couple powered monitors, you might be happier with the outcome of that.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
FenrirFangs

I am most definitely getting rid of my Jet City and a Marshall cab. I need the money regardless. So, can I run a power amp and my Line 6 through my Mesa 2x12?

I'm also gonna steer clear of monitors right now. I am pretty set on the POD/Power amp combo.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirFangs
I am most definitely getting rid of my Jet City and a Marshall cab. I need the money regardless. So, can I run a power amp and my Line 6 through my Mesa 2x12?

I'm also gonna steer clear of monitors right now. I am pretty set on the POD/Power amp combo.

yeah, it depends on how you wanna go with it.

if you wanna run the Line 6 into a power amp, then you need to decide what kinda power amp to go with. some people would prefer to get a tube power amp, but i see that as a little unnecessary since the HD500 would have the amp emulation anyway. i use a crown power amp myself, they are quality and fairly light. you could also go used and pick up a good power amp for pretty cheap (like 200 to 300 bucks).

i'd try to match the power amp to the mesa cab's rated power handling (which might not be more than 150 watts).

if you want to use the mesa cab, then you'd also wanna disable any cabinet modeling in the HD500 (not sure if it even has any).

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Just buy a decent powered wedge and you're set to go. You'll want one with a 12" speaker and at least 100W, smaller ones normally sound like crap. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that but I'm yet to see a small wedge that holds a candle to a good 100W to 200W 12" wedge.
You say you want to stay clear of monitors - why? It's the correct answer. Or were you meaning studio type monitors rather than stage monitors? A proper stage monitor (wedge) is what you need.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-17-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Robbgnarly

Look at some older Peavey 30/30 or 50/50 power amps you can normally find them for <$250 and they are tube power amps which will get you the most out of your L6 POD HD.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
FenrirFangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Just buy a decent powered wedge and you're set to go. You'll want one with a 12" speaker and at least 100W, smaller ones normally sound like crap. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that but I'm yet to see a small wedge that holds a candle to a good 100W to 200W 12" wedge.
You say you want to stay clear of monitors - why? It's the correct answer. Or were you meaning studio type monitors rather than stage monitors? A proper stage monitor (wedge) is what you need.

Would I be able to use these monitors as studio monitors as well? I know nothing about stuff like is.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You can but they aren't really designed to be used that way. They aren't accurate like studio monitors. They are designed to be loud on stage, not used in a studio. If you want studio monitors buy studio monitors, if you want stage monitors buy stage monitors.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Would I be able to use these monitors as studio monitors as well? I know nothing about stuff like is.

Powered monitors work just fine, but since you have a 2x12 cab already, I highly sugest that you look in to the Peavey 50/50 power amps. this setup will sound better than just a powered monitor (which will sound fine also).
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
FenrirFangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Powered monitors work just fine, but since you have a 2x12 cab already, I highly sugest that you look in to the Peavey 50/50 power amps. this setup will sound better than just a powered monitor (which will sound fine also).

That's why I was confused when Cathbard said I should get studio monitors. I already have a Mesa 2x12, why pay for stuff I don't need? Thanks a lot for the Peavey suggestion. That seems to be the general consensus everywhere!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
That's why I was confused when Cathbard said I should get studio monitors. I already have a Mesa 2x12, why pay for stuff I don't need? Thanks a lot for the Peavey suggestion. That seems to be the general consensus everywhere!

when you use a full modeling system it will simulate the pedals, amp (preamp and power amp), cabinet, speakers and even the mic placement. if that is the case, then the system you want to use to amplify would ideally be a 'flat response' system (with minimal coloration and more exact signal reproduction) and studio monitors are very much designed to be a flat response system.

no stage monitors are more geared toward volume, while they may be full range they are not exactly a flat response (some frequencies may be cut and some others may be enhanced). unfortunately a studio monitoring system usually has a much low sensitivity.

i am guessing that when cath recommended a studio monitor setup, he was stressing flat response over volume.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Correct. You don't need gigging volumes in a studio, you want accuracy. You don't need studio accuracy on stage, you want volume.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
FenrirFangs

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

If you found a used Crate Powerblock that would be the cheapest solution.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: