Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
BackSeatSuicide
Sex. Murder. Art.

Using A Metronome

Now I know this is gonna sound like a stupid noob question. I've been playing for over 10yrs, but never have I used a metronome during practice. I am already pretty fast Lead Player, but I know I can do better and as all of us musicians/guitarist, we always strive to improve, whether you've been playing for 5yrs, 10yrs or 50yrs, you always wanna keep getting better....Anyways, I've been told several times over the year to play with a Metronome to help increase Pick Control and Speed, but I never have, instead I just practiced playing speed exercises, slowly at first, and increasing the speed I played it at gradually until I hit a speed where the notes weren't sounding clean and then I would back off a bit until I got them clean again and then increase the speed again until I hit a trouble spot again, etc etc. And its worked for me. but I keep hearing how a Metronome helps in so many ways. But since I've never played with one, I dont really know how your supposed to play along with one. Like what i mean is, do you wanna hit a note for each click or are you supposed to try and fit multiple notes between each click, I just dont get what I am supposed to be doing when playing with the Metronome. So if someone could explain how it works, I would greatly appreciate it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
BackSeatSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
supersac

well a metronome is supposed ot keep time
if you hit one note per click (in 4/4) youd be playing quarter notes if you play 2 notes per click thats eight notes 4 notes 16th notes etc.

so for example if youre playing a lick or riff or whatever that has quick 4 notes grouped toghether and the beat is obviously on the first note
(ONE-two three four)
id play 4 notes per click as 16th notes

so pretty much it just keeps time and you use it as you see fit

i hope im making sense here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
cdgraves

The metronome is usually set for the "pulse", whatever tempo you'd tap your foot to when listening. It's also OK to set it to 8th notes (twice as fast) and play every other click as the beat, if you're working out fast stuff.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

I only use the metronome to know which speed I am playing. I even think it's better to tap your feet while practicing, because it's better for your physical feeling for rhythem.

Metronome comes in handy for you to measure at what speed you can play some lick clean. Without the metronome you can't exactly tell how fast you are playing.
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
SebastianGrosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
well a metronome is supposed ot keep time
if you hit one note per click (in 4/4) youd be playing quarter notes if you play 2 notes per click thats eight notes 4 notes 16th notes etc.

so for example if youre playing a lick or riff or whatever that has quick 4 notes grouped toghether and the beat is obviously on the first note
(ONE-two three four)
id play 4 notes per click as 16th notes

so pretty much it just keeps time and you use it as you see fit

i hope im making sense here

I agree and I would add that the metronome also helps you play even
Playing even is an invaluable resource in a band situation
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Dreamdancer11

A metronome just keeps time as its been said above,it doesnt increase you speed or improve your technique....its important but not for the reason most people give it credit ..
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Mole351

Obviously you can use whatever speed/bpm's you want and any variation of # of notes between clicks on the metronome.

That said, I think the standard is 16th notes (4 notes per click) when people talk about how many bpm's they play or can play (related to speed)? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
Mole351 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: