Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
breather13

Question Piezo in an electric.

I am currently building a stratocaster and had an idea to get more versatility from it. I want to try to wire in a piezo transducer. When doing this is it better to add a new output jack and install a preamp so that the piezo is set off by itself? Or should you wire it into the switch and knobs for the single coils. Also does it matter where on the guitar you put the piezo. Any informations would help.
breather13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Invader Jim

You'll need a preamp or at least a buffer for the piezo. Personally I'd wire it to a switch to change tones on the fly.

And the short answer is: hell yes it matters where and how you install the piezo. Piezos work by converting the vibrations of the guitar itself into an electrical signal. They work nothing like regular guitar pickups.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

You have to put the transducer on the bridge saddles. To be honest, it's a very fiddly job and with an electric guitar bridge, you're just better off getting one ready made:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LR-Baggs-X-...W-/360737119629

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: