Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #61
borneo_music

In the beginning malmsteen was the greatest to me but as time goes by i keep on seeing his only guitar's skills...and never try to improve how to put his guitar sound into a great song. So in the end i leave malmsteen alone. Although slash is not as good as him but he put the guitar souls into the song and it fits perfectly throughout all the guns and roses song.

My Gears
------------
Ibanez AEG10E
Yamaha FG-401
borneo_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #62
The musician123

Really weird...

I was at practice with some guys I just got together with, and the vocalist and I were having this same arguement.. It was about John Petrucci and Dream Theatre in general but it was pretty much the same thing. Is it better to be technical, or can you literally "feel" a song together from start to finish.

He claimed Dream Theatre never made it further than they did because the average listener gets bored of overly technical music, but I without question, love this type of stuff. You can definetly harness this type of playing and make a song and lyrics with it.

I don't really take what the guy says too seriously. He doesn't play any instrument and this whole arguement took place after I tried to talk to him about simple song structure. This was all just a long way of saying that Malmsteen and neoclassical in general is NOT boring.
The musician123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #63
ruinez

Personaly i think the old stuff from Malmsteen aint booring, but the new stuff from him sound repetitive and booring...
ruinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 AM   #64
HellToKitty

For me this kind of guitar playing is as interesting as watching somebody doing a trick like juggeling with chainsaws. I can't do it myself and I never will, but I don't care.
HellToKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #65
Rickholly74

I love HellToKitty's comment. Sorry, I'll be stealing that analogy in my own conversations. I agree 100%. As a player I find the "shed faster than lightning" thing is amazing for a few minutes, then I am bored. Ask people who are not musicians and I think you will find they are bored with it from the first solo. They don't get how difficult it is (and it definitely is) and they don't care. When you are trying to cram 32nd notes into every measure it's all about technique (great as it is) and not about interacting with the other musicians and creating a unified sound. The emotion angle discussed here is relevant when you accept that it's not the emotion you feel when playing that matters as much as the emotion your playing conveys and moves the listener. There are players whose songs and playing can change my emotional state (happy, sad, introspective etc.) when I listen to them. Shedders generally make me say WOW! That's amazing!.. and then I move on.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 10-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #66
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Imagine being at a concert of his and not really into guitar, after 5 mins you'd be wanting to leave. Although he does try to put on a show I guess. I can't say much bad about him, he was a major influence on thousands of players with his unique style. Sure you say, I could practice that technique/sound/style and get it better than him eventually, a ridiculous statement when you figure he invented the technique, sound, style.

I wish he would do some proper playing and write a good track too, but he does what he does, and is pretty successful.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #67
Rickholly74

The name Miles Davis came up several times in this thread. Many years ago (late 60's early 70's) I went to see Miles Davis in NYC. I grew up playing trumpet though I never got good at it and had always heard about Miles being the best ever. A friend and I went to New York to see Miles. Miles had this all star band that spent most of the concert "noodling" around behind him. Miles had a microphone attached to his horn and was playing through a wah wah pedal for a great deal of the show. To say the least it was a wierd experience. We rarely saw his face because for most of the concert he played with his back to the audience. When the concert was over he just walked of stage without a word or look at the audience. One of the strangest concerts I have ever been to. People gave him a standing ovation and I'll never understand why.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: