Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #41
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

The Diamond nitrox has more bass than a dual or triple rec.
gain for days... weeks if you wanna go that far. as Zoltan Bathory described "this thing it. it fu**ing chops trees down"... and he used to use triple recs. although releasing the name of a 5fdp guitarist around here will get me killed so i digress

its pretty much hottrodded marshall tone then ad some insanity and a touch of uberschall.

and cost about the same as a triple rec.
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #42
Barricade_28

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder
Run a fuzz pedal into a Fender Bassman type amp then have a 1x15" and a 2x12" should help.
Or just buy an octave pedal, take a split of your guitar signal to that then run that into a bass amp to fill up the low end.
I've done both during different phase of my band and they both work.

ya, I've wondered about if I can run a signal into both a guitar cab and a bass cab at the same time?

Or just run a guitar amp through a bass cab, if that would work? Would I get enough mid/highs with that to play regular thrash metal too? Thing is I just don't want to play Doom all the time, but all sorts of stuff like hard rock, cleans, and thrash.

Is a 1x15 usually a bass cab?

I mean, in the store I've tried a XXX and a dual rectifier through different 4x12 cabs (one was a EVH 5150 4x12 i think) and I'm still not getting a lot of bass with the amps bass cranked to max on the amps. Would an EQ pedal give me a lot more bass on most any amp/cab I wanted?
Barricade_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #43
Barricade_28

In stores, the bassiest guitar amp I've tried thus far is a Valveking 2x12 combo. It's even lower than a XXX 2 or dual rect. head running through a 4x12 when I cranked the VK's bass and resonance to max. I could maybe live with a Valveking 112 for now if an EQ would be able to push out even more bass for me and a Bad Monkey OD pedal would be able to give me enough gain for thrash and other high-gain metal?

A Spider IV 150w is actually very bassy too but I don't want that thing, the gain sounds a bit like digital ass.

Last edited by Barricade_28 : 02-28-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
psychosylocibin

If you want to spend a little more to get something truly bassy and "chunky" I'm trying to sell my bogner uberschall, but it will cost you 1400.

(totally worth it long run IMO - it totally crushes).

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
psychosylocibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #45
arteestic1
unemployment beta tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosylocibin
If you want to spend a little more to get something truly bassy and "chunky" I'm trying to sell my bogner uberschall, but it will cost you 1400.

(totally worth it long run IMO - it totally crushes).

Which revision do you have? I agree, though this amp has serious low end. Too much really, but its an amazing amp. 1400 is a steal. Why are you letting it go so cheap?

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
arteestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #46
godgrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade_28
ya, I've wondered about if I can run a signal into both a guitar cab and a bass cab at the same time?

Or just run a guitar amp through a bass cab, if that would work? Would I get enough mid/highs with that to play regular thrash metal too? Thing is I just don't want to play Doom all the time, but all sorts of stuff like hard rock, cleans, and thrash.

Is a 1x15 usually a bass cab?

I mean, in the store I've tried a XXX and a dual rectifier through different 4x12 cabs (one was a EVH 5150 4x12 i think) and I'm still not getting a lot of bass with the amps bass cranked to max on the amps. Would an EQ pedal give me a lot more bass on most any amp/cab I wanted?

Yeah you totally could run a guitar head into a 1x15". It will give you enough high/mid for other stuff as well as long as you dial it the right way.

However I always kinda feel like modern type guitar heads might not give you that type of low end you are looking for (which would probably need to be achieved with old bi-purpose guitar+bass amps). I would say find an old Fender Bassman, it seems like they are mostly under $600 on ebay. Then find a Boss FZ-2 (which is what Electric Wizard used), use the fuzz 2 mode. Go into the first input on the left of the Bassman and use a patch lead to connect input 2 & 3 (that way you are patching together both channels). I have used that setup for a few Bassman-type amps and it gave me some insane low end even with regular guitar 4x12" cabs. Even running some modern hi gain amps into both a guitar cab and a 1x15" didn't really give me more low end than that...

Then you probably need a hi-gain type distortion pedal for your thrash. Maybe try a Joyo US Dream (Suhr Riot clone) or TC Electronic Rottweiler?
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115

Last edited by godgrinder : 03-01-2013 at 04:13 AM.
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
Barricade_28

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Try a Krankenstein +. More bass than ever needed.

Looks cool, and I'm sure has enough gain for me for the thrash tones I want too, but at $1700 its out of my price range, especially just for a head.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Looks cool, and I'm sure has enough gain for me for the thrash tones I want too, but at $1700 its out of my price range, especially just for a head.

They go used for $700ish all day long and some times cheaper on guitarcenters used site
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #49
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Krankenstein Or Stiff Dirthead. Little Cheaper on the Stiff Route. And yes even my 20w has a shit ton of lowend even out of 2x12 if that tells you anything.

And Hellsyeah above about the uberschall. 1400? Really? damn thats a good deal man! Tons of low saturated bogner awesome. I love the Twin Jet but the Uber is still as awesome!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #50
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

What you need is a bass player.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

Cath stop making sence! We all know that most all bass response should come from your bass player. But not all of us are gifted with said knowledge
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #52
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

TS, there is a lot of thread here and I just don't feel like reading through it, but if you have not decided, I will say the Laney AOR is THE amp, with a fuzz pedal. You pull the bass boost on it and it is literally an unbearable amount of bass with the knob turned all the way down, unless you are playing doom.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
Barricade_28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

Yes I agree LOL, but I do just like jamming with a drummer or even myself sometimes. I don't need all the bass a bass player will give, but I'd like some heavy bottom end to shake some windows a bit.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #54
Guitar-KID125
UG's Hottest MoFo

Unboosted uberschall with an oversized 4x12 packed with foam. You'll sound like ass and spend an approximate metric shit load, but it'll give you bass.
People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Guitar-KID125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #55
Barricade_28

I found this video:

This has great heavy tone like I'm looking for. Just a drummer and guitarist, who is running through a cranked Matamp GT-1. His palm mutes starting at 2:45 are just insanely heavy. I can't get my hands on any Matamps in my area, so is there more mainstream retail amps that would be useful?

Also, I'm assuming much of the tone is coming from lower tuning, would he be playing about B tuning here? What kind of gain would be used in this type of sound, high gain or more of a Zeppelin crunchy gain? Or would a clean amp with a fuzz do it?

I have a Vypyr Tube 60 right now and tuned in B standard there is just not a lot of bass or "heavy" out of that speaker. That's why I'm thinking maybe if I get a head, and run it through a bass cab maybe 2x12 I could get something decent? Or use a guitar head running into both a 2x12 guitar cab and a 1x15 bass cab at the same time (with some kind of A/B/Y switch?).

If anyone has suggestions for getting a doom/stoner sound out of the VYpyr 60 let me know. Tunings, effects, amp & EQ settings etc.?

Last edited by Barricade_28 : 04-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #56
Guitar-KID125
UG's Hottest MoFo

The Matamp GT-1 is very similar to an Orange Rocker 30. His tone is coming from an amp cranked to the wringer, power tube distortion, low tuning and terrible ambient recording.

His tone in person wouldn't be that bass heavy, that's the camera mic clipping. It would be very fuzzy and hairy and extremely unclear, but hey, that's stoner for you.
People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Guitar-KID125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #57
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Congrats on your Vypyr 60 - obviously I'm trying to help you in your other thread. The Vypyrs are not for everyone but Offworld, for example, and I like heavy music and they work fine for us.

Quote:

That's crazy. You should have plenty of low end with these set ups. Did you take your own guitar with your tuning or something off the shelf?

Quote:
In stores, the bassiest guitar amp I've tried thus far is a Valveking 2x12 combo. It's even lower than a XXX 2 or dual rect. head running through a 4x12 when I cranked the VK's bass and resonance to max. I could maybe live with a Valveking 112 for now if an EQ would be able to push out even more bass for me and a Bad Monkey OD pedal would be able to give me enough gain for thrash and other high-gain metal?

A Spider IV 150w is actually very bassy too but I don't want that thing, the gain sounds a bit like digital ass.

I owned a Valveking 112 and it was a great starter tube amp but I replaced the speaker, tubes and ran pedals in front and it still didn't have the girth and grind that the Vypyr 60 has. I use the Diezel and Recto models the most with the EQ pretty flat across 12 noon, pregain on 2pm, post on 11am and master at around 11. C Standard tuning. I get miles and miles of bass. The only thing I did was put a JJ 12AX7 in but that really is not a huge tone change.

Quote:
I found this video:

This has great heavy tone like I'm looking for. Just a drummer and guitarist, who is running through a cranked Matamp GT-1. His palm mutes starting at 2:45 are just insanely heavy. I can't get my hands on any Matamps in my area, so is there more mainstream retail amps that would be useful?

Also, I'm assuming much of the tone is coming from lower tuning, would he be playing about B tuning here? What kind of gain would be used in this type of sound, high gain or more of a Zeppelin crunchy gain? Or would a clean amp with a fuzz do it?

I have a Vypyr Tube 60 right now and tuned in B standard there is just not a lot of bass or "heavy" out of that speaker. That's why I'm thinking maybe if I get a head, and run it through a bass cab maybe 2x12 I could get something decent? Or use a guitar head running into both a 2x12 guitar cab and a 1x15 bass cab at the same time (with some kind of A/B/Y switch?).

If anyone has suggestions for getting a doom/stoner sound out of the VYpyr 60 let me know. Tunings, effects, amp & EQ settings etc.?

You can run your combo with a speaker cabinet. I think it has an 8 ohm tap right? You can also get the head version - that is what Offworld has.

I mean is this not bassy enough?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play983752
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #58
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

look for one of these cabs: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...speaker-cabinet

i have one and love it. i swapped out the top speakers for T75's (had them lying around). the 15" sounds great. there is a small front port. it is heavy as hell with the nitro, and has massive bottom end. i would look into one of those.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: