Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
adrienfr

Understanding two-note chords/dyads found in a lot of tab

I'm switching from years of acoustic to getting into electric guitar, and I keep running into this kind of two-note "chord" (or dyad) in a lot of rock songs:

Code:
E|--13----------------13----------------13----------------14-13-------------| B|--14----14--14--14--14----14--14--14--14----14--14----14--------14-14--14-| G|-----13-13--13--13-----13-13--13--13-----13-13--13--13--------13---13--13-| D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------| A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------| E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I understand that power chords are normally played as two strings separated by a fifth (usually with the root on the 6th or 5th), but I'm confused by these dyads played on treble strings.

My main question is how exactly are these strummed? Do you fret the two strings, mute the rest (perhaps by laying your hand/another finger over them) and then strum away? I'm trying to figure this out by comparing it to the sound of the record, of course, but it's hard sometimes when you're only hearing the final mix and all the production polish.

I've never really seen these two-note treble chords explained anywhere, and I'm not even sure what to call them. I'd really love to get more general information on what exactly they are and how exactly they're played. Thanks!

(This particular example is from Bloc Party's "Song for Clay", but I've seen it in plenty of other songs so please consider this a general question, not a song-specific one.)

Last edited by adrienfr : 08-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.
adrienfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's resident ska kid

I don't exactly know what they're called but I've always just called them Double Stops.

As far as playing them it's kind of up to you. If it's sounds like it's a full-on strum then strum away with the muting thing you were talk about. But I would personally just play them all with downstrokes.
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
GS LEAD 5

The first one is a root and a major third.
The second one is a root and a perfect fourth.

The're still chords however, my knowledge of chords is insufficient to identify the type.

And I would simply move my palm closer to the higher strings and play just the notes mentioned in the tab.

EDIT: And a powerchord remains a powerchord regardless of where you play it on the fretboard. If it has a root, a perfect fifth, (and maybe an octave) then it's a powerchord even if it's on the 22nd fret of the 2nd string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I don't exactly know what they're called but I've always just called them Double Stops.

As far as playing them it's kind of up to you. If it's sounds like it's a full-on strum then strum away with the muting thing you were talk about. But I would personally just play them all with downstrokes.

Double stops are for bowed instruments like violins and cellos. For a guitar, anything with multiple notes on a single instrument would be a chord, except when using a harmonizer.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 08-23-2013 at 03:39 PM.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Double stops are for bowed instruments like violins and cellos. For a guitar, anything with multiple notes on a single instrument would be a chord, except when using a harmonizer.

No. An actual chord has a minimum of 3 different notes. Anything with just 2 notes can be called either double stops or dyads. Both are technically correct. The term double stops was originally just for bowed instruments, but has since been used to describe 2-note "chords" with almost any string instrument, including guitar.

TS, as it's tabbed, only strum the strings that the notes are on. If there were x's or some other indication of a mute on the other strings, then you would strum all the strings involved.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
No. An actual chord has a minimum of 3 different notes. Anything with just 2 notes can be called either double stops or dyads. Both are technically correct. The term double stops was originally just for bowed instruments, but has since been used to describe 2-note "chords" with almost any string instrument, including guitar.

TS, as it's tabbed, only strum the strings that the notes are on. If there were x's or some other indication of a mute on the other strings, then you would strum all the strings involved.

Ok, this is new to me correction accepted.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah they're double stops normally.

normally i'd just play them almost like lead guitar (i.e. trying to hit the particular strings needed) but it depends on the piece of music and how it sounds best, as Wrst_Plyr_Evr says (and I don't really play bloc party type stuff so that might be terrible advice on my part )

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: