Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
ThePipster

Legato Vs Staccato

So I was wondering what everybody thinks about this. I want to get really good at one of them (staccato or legato). I know yngwie malmsteen picks almost everything, I am a very big fan of his. Then there is dimebag darrell, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB_GGdXCVB0 In that video he is practically doing all hammer on's and pull off's. I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each one are. I just feel like you can go way faster with legato and their is no point in focusing so much on picking everything. I know it's kind of a broad question, but thanks for all the help in advance!
ThePipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
WhiskeyFace
:^)

Staccato =/= picking

And why not both?
WhiskeyFace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePipster
So I was wondering what everybody thinks about this. I want to get really good at one of them (staccato or legato). I know yngwie malmsteen picks almost everything, I am a very big fan of his. Then there is dimebag darrell, In that video he is practically doing all hammer on's and pull off's. I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each one are. I just feel like you can go way faster with legato and their is no point in focusing so much on picking everything. I know it's kind of a broad question, but thanks for all the help in advance!

Firstly: picking is not necessarily staccato. Staccato is an effect where the notes are basically half the length notated and then you mute them. This is really not the same thing as just picking everything where the notes are the right length but just aren't legato.

Secondly: Dimebag's playing is a decent example of legato but if you really want to hear something mindblowing check out Brett Garsed and Alan Holdsworth.

Thirdly: speed is the least important thing about the difference between staccato, legato and just playing. The real difference is tone. All these have a different sound and you use each when you want your playing to sound that way, as the music dictates.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

It really depends on the tone, and also the style of music you play. For instance, you should definitely focus on picking if you play a lot of prog riffs, complicated single-string stuff that requires a well-coordinated picking hand. So, focusing on picking for now would be beneficial, strengthening your rhythm playing while you focus on leads.

However, if that's less of a concern, or if your rhythm playing is already good enough for what you play, or if you want a more fusion-y sound, definitely start branching out into legato playing. Personally, I find myself tending to ascend legato and descend picked - just seems to have become a habit in my recent improvisations.

Just experiment and see what you like.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I prefer the staccato like sound of alternate picking over legato and therefore i tend to alternate pick a lot.

Legato is also not one of my strong points. As Steve Vai says "i don't work on my weaknesses. I ignore them and cultivate my strengths". I love this approach so i pretty much do the same. Not to say i just ignore all my weaknesses completely because i don't.

I'm gonna link the video this is from anyways. It may be a little off topic but it's such a damn good video. Whether or not you like Steve Vai, he sure is a motivating speaker.

American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 01-20-2014 at 09:15 PM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
afrika18
afrika18

'Legato' is simply a fancy way of saying "I can't play guitar." If you can't pick every note, you aren't really playing guitar.
afrika18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrika18
'Legato' is simply a fancy way of saying "I can't play guitar." If you can't pick every note, you aren't really playing guitar.

That is just flat out stupid. Picking is not better than legato, and legato is not better than picking. The reason why you would use one over the other is depending on tone and feel you want to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

Troll harder. 1/10, not baited.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:

0/10. Stupidest shit I've ever heard.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: