Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Knackworst1

Why does everyone say you need a proper setup?

Titel kinda says it all...

I'm wondering because when i went to my local store some months ago I talked about a setup if I buy a new acoustic guitar (to look fancy I guess...) they were wondered and said what should be changed when buying a NEW indtrument if action is fine...
Knackworst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackworst1
Titel kinda says it all...

I'm wondering because when i went to my local store some months ago I talked about a setup if I buy a new acoustic guitar (to look fancy I guess...) they were wondered and said what should be changed when buying a NEW indtrument if action is fine...
"Title"...T-I-T-L-E..."title".

With that said, you don't have to have a new instrument set up if the action is to your liking when you get it. Some are correct, many not even close. Some guitars "settle in", and need tweaking a few months down the road.

Fender seems to be setting up their guitars, "too well", as I and others have had the necks straighten out "too much".

If your guitar is comfortable for you to play, and no have no complaint about the strings being "too high", or "hard to push down", you're fine, no need for adjustment. Just play and enjoy yourself.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i almost stopped playing guitar after playing for years because it never seemed to get easier to do barre chords. turned out that the factory set-ups are on the high side, and none of my instructors had ever mentioned such a thing as a set-up to me. now i play easily and love playing like i never did before. i've had every guitar set up except my blueridge, and they're a pleasure to play.

those who strum very hard - bluegrassers, for example - may actually need higher action. and the bottom line here is that factory set-ups try and get somewhere between very low and very high action. since medium action is too high for most people i know, we get our guitars set-up.

btw, i never have a local store do my set-ups. most of the guys in our many local stores either don't know much or aren't very good. there are 2 local guys i'd try for set-ups, but that's because of referrals from other good players who use them regularly.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Captaincranky

How about if we attach a number to this. About 95% of players will be happy with the action set at 1/8th inch (@ the 12th fret), or just about 3mm. More than that, you might start to have trouble with barre chords, and playing high up the neck. A bit less if you're looking for comfort in holding barre chords for long durations, finger speed in single line work, and maybe slides too. (Hand sliding, NOT playing with a glass or metal slide). For that, the action usually needs to be raised.

When lowering the action below about 1/8", other factors need to be considered. The neck "relief", and the groove depths in the top nut, all of which can all effect your success, (or failure).

Ideally, I'd like mine set at about 1/10 inch, or about 2.6mm.

That's with standard "acoustic light strings", (.012 to .053).
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

What a redudant question, no offense. Maybe I just don't understand, but it seems you answered your own question.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Knackworst1

Yes, stupid question maybe....
However, if the store guys say i just need toger used to acoustic guitars who need to be strummed harder as elecs, is he right or is the setup not done properly yet?
Knackworst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackworst1
Yes, stupid question maybe....
However, if the store guys say i just need toger used to acoustic guitars who need to be strummed harder as elecs, is he right or is the setup not done properly yet?

Both statements are true.

!. An electric is easier to play than an acoustic ....TRUE (in a majority of cases).

2. When you buy an acoustic, it MAY need to be set up....TRUE (They need to be set up much more often that not).

Here's how you do it...:http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/...up_page_01.html

You don't have to do it yourself. But, it helps to know what the measurements should be, and the terminology being used.

Rate This Thread: