Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
dishymars

ASIO Driver?

Would love it if someone can enlighten me on this. I've got a nice ovation acoustic/electric w/ preamp etc that I can hook up to my computer. I can play it through my amp to the computer and it sounds good through my line in jack.

First I checked out Guitar FX Box. It hooked right up and worked immediately and sounded great with no latency or anything.

The 30 day trial ended and I want to check out some others before deciding on one to buy. Tried out one called ampLion and suddenly that ones requires something called an ASIO driver. Got another one called Ultraguitar effects or something, and although that one worked w/o ASIO driver, their was like a half second of latency. I downloaded the ASIO driver thing and got Ultraguitar effects to work nicely. Problem is that it also downloaded some crap on my computer and so I had to do a restore to get rid of it. Its gone now.

In the meantime I checked the sticky on this page and figure I'll try out Amplitube 3. Seems legit and I assume it will work good. I'm registered and I'm ready to try it out. Wondering if anyone knows if Amplitube needs the ASIO driver thing, before I start downloading it.

If anyone can shed some light on this ASIO driver I'd appreciate it. One of those things, either ampLion, Ultraguitar effects or the ASIO driver thing tried to put some ad **** on my computer and messed up my internet explorer causing me to wipe it all with a quick restore. All fixed now. Just want to check in with anyone before downloading Amplitube and also see if anyone recommends something in particular for some basic effects from a trustworthy source.
dishymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
chatterbox272

I don't know if amplitube needs an ASIO driver, but it definitely works best with one. What ASIO driver are you using? except for ones specific to the interface you're using the only one worth dealing with AFAIK is ASIO4ALL.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

ASIO4ALL is quite safe to use and i have installed it plenty of times in the past so i suspect the crap on your computer came from somewhere else. Also, i'm pretty sure amplitube will need an asio driver. The primary sound driver in windows doesn't do low latency, hence the half second delay you had.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
jinsu2301
The Christmas Pyro

You better get the ASIO driver (asio4all is definitaly safe and ad-free, it's basically the industry standard). What the ASIO driver does is that it works around your computer's OS which saves a lot of processing time. You can use most stuff with the standard OS drivers (i.e. DirectSound for Windows) but the latency gets pretty high.
jinsu2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Aralingh
Intelligent person

1) get a normal internet browser
2) ASIO is a great low-latency audio driver, do not hesitate to obtain it
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
dishymars

Thanks all, got it working nicely with the ASIO driver. I'm curious if anyone knows what driver GUITAR FX 3 uses... because out of all of em it seemed to work the best and I never had any lag at all and it was the clearest, crispest sound and it had no need for the ASIO driver. It seems that while AMPLITUBE 3 only accepts and processes the sound through the recorder on the sound card (which sounds like the microphone), GUITAR FX 3 processes the sound directly through the line in w/o the need for the recorder. Reason I ask is because like I said the recorder line in line sounds more like a mic w/ hissing etc in the background whereas the line in alone is perfect w/ no hissing or anything.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
jinsu2301
The Christmas Pyro

hmmm, I don't quite get what this "recorder" on your sound board is ^^'
open up the the amplitube settings->audio midi setup-> select the asio4all driver -> click on panel -> click on the wrench, and then there should be a list of all your devices and inputs which you can activate and than select in the audio midi setup, maybe that helps

guitarfx3 uses WDM drivers which are basically the same as the ASIO one but without as much options and it isn't supported by some programms
jinsu2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
dishymars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsu2301
hmmm, I don't quite get what this "recorder" on your sound board is ^^'
open up the the amplitube settings->audio midi setup-> select the asio4all driver -> click on panel -> click on the wrench, and then there should be a list of all your devices and inputs which you can activate and than select in the audio midi setup, maybe that helps

guitarfx3 uses WDM drivers which are basically the same as the ASIO one but without as much options and it isn't supported by some programms

Thanks Jinsu. I see the ASIO option panel etc, and it only listed my sound card, there were no other options. Just to clarify in case you have any additional information, what I'm referring to are the Windows Volume sliders, i.e in Sound Options from Windows Control Panel. There are several, the ones I'm referring to is Volume Control and then there's another called Recording Control which is also a few volume sliders. I won't hear anything in Amplitube (out of my computer speakers, anyway) unless I go into Recording Control and turn up the volume there on the Line In there. In Ultrawave you pull up these two windows using MIXER "In" and "Out". The "IN" pulls up Windows Recording Controls and the "Out" pulls up your regular Windows Volume controls. Whereas apparently the WDM driver allows GUITAR FX to accept the sound directly from the Line In w/o the need for the recorder. Amplitube only accepts sound through the Microphone, it seems.

Rate This Thread: