Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
wguitarimprov

Need to learn how to read sheet music in 2 days

I need to learn to sheet music for my schools jazz band by Monday. I have a good generalization of all the notes on the neck and a decent idea how to read sheet music.

Everyone is expecting me to know how to read and I don't want to let every one down, I'm the only other guitarist available.

If anyone has some quick solutions so I can learn songs and sight read in class until I learn sheet music completely I would appreciate it.

Last edited by wguitarimprov : 09-07-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I fail at spelling
wguitarimprov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
JNBloomy

you aren't going to be able to read sheet music in 2 days, unless your some sort of genius... if you already have the music that you have to play then you can work it out and memorize it... my advice is, when you go in for practice get someone to tell you the chords etc... and improvise!

https://soundcloud.com/james-bloomfield-1/prog-backing
Need a vocalist to record some vocals for this! ^ ^ ^
JNBloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
20Tigers

Yeah find out the songs, get the sheet music and study it hard over the next two days.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
wguitarimprov

well its only the 3rd day of band we play a bunch of random stuff and other songs that other people think of. the main thing is to be able to sight read and play what's written on spot its our high school "advanced band", I have most chords down and improvisation down but im expected to be able to read music. also we have a new band teacher its her first time teaching ever so I don't want to over complicate things for her.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

They say the quickest way to make a guitarist stfu is to stick a piece of sheet music in front of them.

Good luck.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Learn how to read sheet music, then worry about sight reading. Your best bet is to meet with your teacher privately and say that you can't read well, but you are willing to work on it. Tell her what you do know how to do and emphasize that you are willing to put the work in to learn to sight read. Feel free to lightly mark the music with pencil to help you.

You just have to practice sight reading to get it down. I'm sure there are resources in your public library and online to help get the practice in. When sight reading, SAY THE NOTES OUT LOUD AS YOU PLAY THEM. It adds another aspect to it that your brain can latch on to and draw from. Obviously don't do it when your playing with the band.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
GonzoBeatz

A short term solution could be taking getting the music and converting it to TAB, just while you get things down
GonzoBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitarimprov
I need to learn to sheet music for my schools jazz band by Monday. I have a good generalization of all the notes on the neck and a decent idea how to read sheet music.

Everyone is expecting me to know how to read and I don't want to let every one down, I'm the only other guitarist available.

If anyone has some quick solutions so I can learn songs and sight read in class until I learn sheet music completely I would appreciate it.

I've been in these situations before. I just learn the songs off youtube or the like and play them like being in any other band. You could also draw up your own chords sheets for reference if you like.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
wguitarimprov

thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
guitar_guyz

I would definitely go in and talk with your teacher. If you are competent at reading chords, 99.9% of jazz charts have chords written in the guitar part. Actually, the notated music in jazz guitar parts is often terribly written, and most directors would prefer that you just follow the chords and use your ears to create a part that complements what the rest of the band is doing.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I've also been in such a situation before, except it was for a classical guitar ensemble. I memorized my part, then used the time I bought myself to familiarize myself with sheet music.

You aren't going to be able to learn to read sheet music in 2 days. You can get the notes and everything down, no problem, but you need way more practice than 2 days can give you to be able to learn a full song through in a reasonable amount of time with just the sheet music.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
jamallax89
Banned

you cant learn to read sheet music in 2 days, unless you transplant your brain with a computer!!!! learning anything is a continuous process and it takes years of practice to be better in it. so take your time and be a good learner. best of luck.
jamallax89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
20Tigers

Well he posted this two months ago so...yeah you're a bit late on this one considering the two days have long passed.

....wonder how he went
Old 10-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
odigmaonline48
Banned

Classicpolo is one of the best brands for exclusive collections . you can Buy shirts online, buy t-shirts online ,buy formal shirts online from our store @classicpolos.com. we have widest range of collections. you can choose the best pants . Buy pants online and Buy trousers online from the store at best price
odigmaonline48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

Slightly relevant story, Jaco Pastorius once applied for a job working on a cruise ship and had to lie and say he could sight read to get the gig. He'd hardly read a note in his life... So he practiced nothing but reading for 3 days before the ship set sail and was able to blag his way through by that time because he had a good ear. By the time he was with Weather Report he sight read through Birdland and (even though he probably lied a little) supposedly the finished recording was his first time playing through it because his reading was so good.

Jaco wasn't human though.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

^^ That's bass man, just a single noted line. That shit is quite easy, and if you know the instrument could maybe actually be learned in 2 days. Especially with a bass staying within 2 octaves.

Granted crazy bass solo's are harder, but a cruise ship plays cocktail jazz, not exactly harmonically game changing.

Try to read through a piano sheet having 2 staves with chords (especially with inversions) and melody at contrapuntal rhythms, and over 4/5 octaves.

Good Luck

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #17
jamallax89
Banned

Sheet music is a written recording of music which is transcribed in music notation. You could think of sheet music like a book; musicians can read sheet music to visualize a musical composition, and the sheet music can be played out loud just like a book can be read aloud. you can Learn to read sheet music in 2 days .
jamallax89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: