Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
C_Hart

Optical tremelo-check it out!

hoping to build something like this soon. so cool! do you guys think that it would cut the guitar signal at all? as in, should i try to integrate some kind of boost circuit?
C_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

That's fooking awesome!
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Tremolo almost always cuts the perceived volume. You'll just have to build it and judge for yourself if it needs a boost.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
&baconstrips

One of the reasons I traded my TR-2 for a VFE Old School trem was to have a volume control to boost or cut the level. IMO having a boost circuit makes it heaps more useful.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
One of the reasons I traded my TR-2 for a VFE Old School trem was to have a volume control to boost or cut the level. IMO having a boost circuit makes it heaps more useful.

Agreed, the EA trem I built has whats basically an LPB-1 (or similar) built in so it can go well above unity gain. Either way, you want the boost to have enough gain to make even the most intense settings not sound quieter than the straight through signal.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Arab_Philosofer

Wow that's hip! That make magazine is a great resource, apart from finding an enclosure this would be a fairly cheap and easy build.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

i would recomend having some sort of boost in the circuit. with a tremolo, it sounds quieter because the ear sort of hears the average volume. which is why tremolos with unity gain can sound like there is a volume drop. shouldnt need much boost, just something small to keep up the percieved volume.

in theory, you could probably do something like that with any tremolo with an optical control. ive got this one on my list of pedals to build (eventually). stick the spinning disk between the LED and LDR and youve done the same kind of thing, except your light is now flashing too.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
NeXEkho

Some thoughts:
-This is pretty similar to the Tiny Trem, but with a spinning disc instead of a 555 timer switching a LED.
-It looks like this implementation has the LDR directly in the signal path instead of as part of a potential divider, so it might not play nice with some hardware. (same as the Tiny Trem)
-As it's open air it can be interfered with by ambient light. Putting the disc inside would solve this.
-Mount the LED and LDR next to one another and use a CD. Draw your patterns on with marker.

First person to make a phaser by mounting a speaker to a cam and putting a mic the other end of a project box wins

Last edited by NeXEkho : 10-04-2012 at 04:40 AM.
NeXEkho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
guitar-tin

Isn't it better to mount the disc inside the enclosure? Because there is a sun light which could affect it.
guitar-tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: