Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
ChaosAgent971

Tonechasing

So I'm jamming a Mesa Dual Rec with a Vox Tonelab ST as my overdrive pedal. I don't know if you've ever jammed using one of those effects-processors, but they have one major flaw- a split-second of silence whenever changing from channel to channel.

Therefore, I'd like to see if you maybe can help me in seeking out a particular tone strictly on the Mesa's overdrive channel, so that I no longer have the need for this pedal for live performances.

Take a listen to the song "War of Attrition" by God Forbid, and if you like, the rest of the album. If there's any advice anybody can throw me, that's the tone I'm looking for. I'm deathly close, but something's missing. Who knows, it could come down to just having old, dead tubes in that head

I've got a few guitars to choose from if it's necessary to match a certain pickup or body type to the amp- Jackson RR3 with Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85, BCRich Warlock Acrylic with Dimebucker (bridge) and Pearly Gates (neck), Schecter C-1 XXX w/ Duncan Designs, ESP LTD MH-250 with a Super 2 (bridge) Fast Track 2 (middle, single coil) PAF Pro (neck)
ChaosAgent971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

with that setup, I can imagine you're very close.

Have you considered the cab or even speakers you're using? they can make a tremendous difference in how everything sounds together.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
ChaosAgent971

It's running through the Marshall MG4x12 cab most days, some days I switch over to my Kustom 4x12, both decent cabs with Celestions, but there are certainly better cabs to be found. A cab change will clean up my tone to an extent I'm sure, but at the moment I'm short on cash so I wanna try to find this tone without shelling out money. The distortion emitted by the Mesa's lead channel is too fuzzy, not quite tight enough.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosAgent971
It's running through the Marshall MG4x12 cab most days, some days I switch over to my Kustom 4x12, both decent cabs with Celestions, but there are certainly better cabs to be found. A cab change will clean up my tone to an extent I'm sure, but at the moment I'm short on cash so I wanna try to find this tone without shelling out money. The distortion emitted by the Mesa's lead channel is too fuzzy, not quite tight enough.

MXR Super Comp. nice simple solution. I had the same concern with my mesa (though your cabs really are a major limiting factor!), and a decent compressor pedal really helped tighten everything and tame the sharper highs.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
ChaosAgent971

Well I appreciate all the help, but, in the end I think the Dual Rec just wasn't the right amp for me. Don't get me wrong its freakin gorgeous but its gain is just too loose. I found a Mesa Stiletto Trident that I just traded my dual for, and upgraded to the Mesa 4x12 as well, I don't think I've ever been happier with my tone.

Now I just have to go about looping in a noise suppressor. Since I have an NS2 at my disposal i'll make use of it. Do you know how to configure this fabled X Pattern?

Also, which reverb/delays might you recommend? I like the look of the Boss RE20
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

TC Electronics Flashback for a delay.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: