Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Brotherbrodude

Easiest Songs for Pinch Harmonics

What songs are the easiest for you to use pinch harmonics on? Also, how did you learn your pinch harmonics? By accident? Through a specific song?

The song for me that's easiest is Victim Of Changes by Judas Priest and Rust In Peace...Polaris by Megadeth. I also learned by accident one day when playing a song that i had written differently.
Brotherbrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

There aren't any pinches in Rust in peace.. Polaris to my knowledge ?
And most of the time, pinch harmonics are equal in difficulty.
Still, a really easy one would be the pinch in the intro solo to DT's count of tuscany, if that's what you're looking for ..
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

The song for me was Unholy Confessions - yeah it only appears like 4 times in the whole song but whatever. I started by arbitrarily pinching the string and hoping lol, but playing fingerstyle classiscal guitar actually help me to find the harmonic node thingies and I just taught myself to hit them with a pick better and make 'em squeal

UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Brotherbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
There aren't any pinches in Rust in peace.. Polaris to my knowledge ?
And most of the time, pinch harmonics are equal in difficulty.
Still, a really easy one would be the pinch in the intro solo to DT's count of tuscany, if that's what you're looking for ..

The part after the last verse there is. I also like to incorporate my own pinch harmonics too.
Brotherbrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I had shitty technique where I was hitting downstrokes while my thumb was placed behind the pick - I just seemed to make those annoying high-pitched screams which I couldn't get rid of, all the time.
Took me awhile to realize what was I doing...

EDIT:
Also, try doing some Slipknot stuff, they have some sick harmonics in several songs...

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 02-04-2013 at 05:24 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
bdof

bdof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

What I did to learn pinch harmonics is just take a riff that I was familiar with and start doing some pinches in it instead of the real note. For instance this:
Code:
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------2----------------------- A|-------4-----5-----4-----0-0-0-4-0-0-5-0-0-4-0-0-2-2-2-4-2-2-5-2-2-4-2-2---2-2-5-2-2-4-2-2-5-2-2- E|-3-3-3---3-3---3-3---3-3-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would play this:
Code:
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------2--------------------------- A|-------4*-----5*-----4*-----0-0-0-4*-0-0-5*-0-0-4*-0-0-2-2-2-4*-2-2-5*-2-2-4*-2-2---2-2-5*-2-2-4*-2-2-5*-2-2- E|-3-3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * = a pinch harmonic.

And then after that I played a riff from Deadly Sinners by 3 inches of blood, but with pinches:
Code:
e|------------------- B|-------5--\4------- G|-7-5-7---------5--- D|------------------- A|------------------- E|-------------------

Code:
e|--------------------- B|-------5*--\4*------- G|-7-5-7-----------5--- D|--------------------- A|--------------------- E|---------------------
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.

Last edited by Junior#1 : 02-05-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
bondmorkret

I find the easiest way to get my students practicing pinch harmonics is to incorporate it in improvising. For instance, listen to Nuno Bettencourt, or Tom Quayle's solos, they're littered with pinches, all over the place. The great thing with this is it doesn't matter if the pinches are a bit and miss at first, because there's no riff that demands a pinch on one specific note. Hope that makes sense!

Rate This Thread: