Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #1741
InTheAshes

e|----------------|
B|----------------|
G|-7-7-7-7-7-7|
D|-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
A|-5-5-5-5-5-5|
E|----------------|

What are these patters called? also have you got any videos on how to play them?
InTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #1742
SexyBeast810
Shut up and thrash

They're power chords without the fifths, so essentially, they're just octaves. All you need to do is finger a D5 power chord, and mute the D string with your ring finger. Just press lightly on the string.

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
SexyBeast810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #1743
ImDesigner

ImDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #1744
KaitoNyappy

Anyone got any tips on how to play "percussion" on your acoustic guitar while fingerpicking?

If I try to make a bass drum-like sound with my wrist it doesn't come out loud at all, and I can't figure out string slapping without muting everything :/
Is there some kind of technique here that I'm missing, or do I just need to practice A LOT more?
Video of what I mean:
KaitoNyappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #1745
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaitoNyappy
Anyone got any tips on how to play "percussion" on your acoustic guitar while fingerpicking?

If I try to make a bass drum-like sound with my wrist it doesn't come out loud at all, and I can't figure out string slapping without muting everything :/
Is there some kind of technique here that I'm missing, or do I just need to practice A LOT more?
Video of what I mean:

The bass drum type sound might be where you're hitting on your guitar; the guitar has a lot of different percussion sounds on it and where you're hitting on the body can radically change the sound you're getting within the space of an inch or so.

The slapping thing is a little bit more involved, since there's a couple of different things that Sungha does there. The first thing is just the straight up slap where he does actually mute everything but it adds to the effect of it since there's a little emphasising silence after the note.

The second way he does it: he's using the force from strumming down to get a really pronounced attack on the strings that sounds like a slap. I can't actually do it (fingerstyle's not my thing) but that's the basic idea.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #1746
KaitoNyappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The second way he does it: he's using the force from strumming down to get a really pronounced attack on the strings that sounds like a slap. I can't actually do it (fingerstyle's not my thing) but that's the basic idea.

This..actually explains a whole lot, thank you for explaining! I think that I'll be able to improve my fingerstyle playing drastically with this technique.
KaitoNyappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: