Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Muffinz

Agreeing with the Prophet and all those with the same opinion. I also had strict practice schedules and what not at a time in my guitar journey, but for me at least, I started progressing even more when I didn't have a schedule and just playing whatever I wanted whenever I wanted because I found that when I was having a lot of fun I played for much longer than when I was forcing myself to do scale runs and sweeps and what not.

"You should get better by playing, not practicing to get better."
I think these are words filled to the brink with wisdom.

Also, Guthrie Govan has this approach as well so it can't lead you too much astray, can it?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsam
I cant practice enough. I love it. I cant wait to get home from work and run through the scales a few times before turning on my DF-2 pedal a tad and messing around. I'll then finish off my fooling around by running through the scales again and making naive bluesy riffs. I'm never gonna be a Peter Green or a BB King but that doesnt matter. I am having a ball. I guess its down to why you decided to learn in the first place. Mine was accidental and on surgeons advice due to a finger injury. Ive accidentally found a pastime that i really really enjoy. Including all the 'monotonous' practicing. I enjoy the practice; does that make me weird?
hell no... there is really nothing I would rather do with spare time than practice. I totally get you on that. The problem with me is spare time... I no longer watch TV shows. I will tune into an event or game or something but I dont watch any TV shows anymore. I still work out and do some physical stuff but Im 39 and this is my first year Im not playing organized baseball and I couldnt be more OK with it... all because I would rather be playing guitar anyway

Rate This Thread: