Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Loftus17

Joe Duplantier vocal technique?

Ok so I have two questions:

1. What is the vocal technique that Joe uses extensively on Gojira's last album Le'enfant Sauvage. The best example is born in winter. During the heavy part it's like he's simultaneously screaming at the top of his lungs and singing. Other songs include gift of guilt and liquid fire. Anyone know how to go about learning this?

2. If so, can this technique be done safely?
Loftus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
wolvesofmibu

For their albums it sounds like he overdubs his growls with clean singing. The technique is obvious in songs like Vacuity, and most of the newest album, if I remember correctly. When I saw them live Joe growled exclusively during the parts where there would be overdubbing on the album, and Christian handled the backup clean vocals.

As for his technique, he seems to range from relatively standard death growls, to something akin to the vocal fry technique. The bulk of his sound definitely comes from his technique, which is very tight and controlled.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
merriman44

Yep! Its melodic screaming. Difficult as hell to control as you are using both sets of vocal cords. I can sign along with Joe decently well but always fumble tge technique at some point resulting in a bit of pain.

Be super confident in your false cord growls and be able to sing correctly in key prior to even trying it as this is high level stuff.

Finally, I agree with the above. I bet he doesn't do it live much as it's a bit hard on your voice. Its great for recording but many times you can't tell the difference between this and standard false cord tech live.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Scratcher17

Joe growls in tune from 3:54 onwards.
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
merriman44

Great video! It obviously a produced video though. As such, of course they are going to try and be as studio quality as possible. I'm not saying he doesn't normally do it this way, but I AM saying it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. Either way he's a boss.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Scratcher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Great video! It obviously a produced video though. As such, of course they are going to try and be as studio quality as possible. I'm not saying he doesn't normally do it this way, but I AM saying it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. Either way he's a boss.

The guy from Darkest Hour and guitarist/vocalist of Sylosis also use this technique, although Josh from Sylosis uses fry technique I believe, although sometimes it feels more like a false chord, could you tell me what his vocal technique would be? Here is an example: (I know this is off-topic but I'm too lazy to start a new thread.)

By the way, I think I'll start practicing false chord growls because of your basics tutorial I looked up when I found this thread earlier today (I'm a guitarist/vocalist wannabe).
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
merriman44

Love Josh's voice, jamming monolith as I write.. His is absolutely and exclusively fry. Which just happens to be a technique that vexes the hell out of me.

Really glad to hear that man! Good luck and let me know what more I can do to help!

Rate This Thread: