Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
hawk_kst

Amp or straight into PA?

Hey guys,

So I've been playing live gigs for around 4 years and I have never come across a gig where an Acoustic guitar has been plugged into anything but the PA. I've actually never even heard an acoustic amp except buskers on the street.

My question is:
Will an amp specifically tailored for acoustic guitars sound better live than going straight into the PA?

If so then can anyone recommend a decent one? I'd want one that also takes a vocal mic input.

Thanks!
hawk_kst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Auriemma
Still Strummin'

Genz Benz, Fender Acoustisonic, Fishman Loudbox. Those are the 3 main stays that come to mind.

As for which sounds better... that is personal preference. Keep in mind, the amp is one more thing to transport and fit into the mix.
Ovation 06 Elite-T 1868T
Fender 11 Tele Std
Epi 11 ES339 Pro
Bradley 77 LP Custom
Squier 99 P-bass
Boss GT-100
Auriemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
MoreThanGuitar

Depends on your guitars pick up. Some need a pre-amp. I always plug my Guild straight in, think it sounds great.

MoreThanGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
tuxs

I use a stand alone amp never plug into the PA. As far as I'm concerned AER surpass anything I have heard, for clarity and acoustic replication. They are a bit pricey but come with all you need including two channels plus mic. However Fender, Roland, Behringer, Ibanez all make
acceptable units. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
guitar_guyz

Quote:
My question is:
Will an amp specifically tailored for acoustic guitars sound better live than going straight into the PA?

I have used a Genz Benz for years, and just recently switched to plugging direct into the PA. I liked the ability to tweak the tone a bit with the Genz Benz, but plugging directly into the PA has worked out just fine. I think it depends a little on whether you think the additional tonal control outweighs the hassle of extra gear...
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
Delboyuk_01

I do use an amp but only because the mixing desk is usually so far away and I find it easier to plug into something that's next to me, especially when changing from acoustic to electric several times in one gig. It still sounds good going through the PA IMO.
Delboyuk_01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: