Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #41
J-E-M

Mephaphil, there's nothing wrong with using your fingers (knuckles) for vibrato. It's a bonified technique, albeit unorthodox, called the "squeeze" method. I use it quite a bit, mainly using it for fifth and octave shapes, where it's quite difficult to do vibrato using the wrist method, due to the thumb being placed behind in the middle of neck (classical technique). It also comes in handy when playing near the nut, where wrist vibrato is poor at overcoming the increased string resistance; and you can use it with the low E string - it cancels out the risk of riding the string over the edge of the fretboard if you choose to get wild. Wrist vibrato is the best method for most single note and double stop playing, but there will be times when the squeeze method would be better and easier to use, so don't abandon it, just know when to use it.

I also found this page - check it out.
http://www.stratoblogster.com/2008/...-guitar_24.html

Last edited by J-E-M : 03-06-2013 at 05:52 PM.
J-E-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Dude those things dont happen overnight....throw your ego out of the window(critique your playing harshly instead of constantly trying to defend it) visit the internet less and go into the woodshed and practise....great vibrato isnt conquered in a week or a month...takes maturity that comes only through time and correct practise.....post a video after a few months of practise...

Look, I've said that I will try everything everyone's said, please stop attacking me. You don't need to ... After every sentence. One is enough.

As I have no one to tell me if I've made the change from wrong to still shitty but on the right track I have to go on my own judgement. It's confusing but I feel like I understand what I need to change, and it would just be nice for someone to be able to look at a video and go.

'Okay, you did it like that before, that was wrong' 'you need to have your thumb here, or there to get more of a pivot' or 'Yea, you've changed it, keep on doing that and you'll get it.'

That's called a critique. I feel like I've made the change that has put me on the right track. But of course I need practice, am I not allowed to ask for a critique? Isn't that what this thread is about? People tell me what to change and then I try and change it, and then get clarification if I'm doing it better? If you don't want to help me, don't.

What if I come back in a 2 months and it's completely wrong? This isn't about ego it's about wanting to do it right. If you just want to give advice and not bother to spend another 20 seconds watching a video to make sure someone's on the right track then don't give advice in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 03-06-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E-M
Mephaphil, there's nothing wrong with using your fingers (knuckles) for vibrato. It's a bonified technique, albeit unorthodox, called the "squeeze" method. I use it quite a bit, mainly using it for fifth and octave shapes, where it's quite difficult to do vibrato using the wrist method, due to the thumb being placed behind in the middle of neck (classical technique). It also comes in handy when playing near the nut, where wrist vibrato is poor at overcoming the increased string resistance; and you can use it with the low E string - it cancels out the risk of riding the string over the edge of the fretboard if you choose to get wild. Wrist vibrato is the best method for most single note and double stop playing, but there will be times when the squeeze method would be better and easier to use, so don't abandon it, just know when to use it.

I also found this page - check it out.
http://www.stratoblogster.com/2008/...-guitar_24.html

Thanks. I think that I'll stick to what Facecut and Freepower have advised me to do because it kinda makes sense to get the basic stuff down right. I will read the article though.

Thanks.

Quote:

Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #44
wyldelife

I think it's a good thing that you want to post this tomorrow, that way we can, as you said, tell you if you're on the right track. Good luck man, it's good to see that you're invested in making improvements in your playing!
Line 6 Pocket Pod
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #45
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldelife
I think it's a good thing that you want to post this tomorrow, that way we can, as you said, tell you if you're on the right track. Good luck man, it's good to see that you're invested in making improvements in your playing!

Yea that's what I thought. Thanks.

Quote:

Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #46
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Ok, is this more like it the kind of thing I should be doing?

I chose a couple of licks to play through, first take kinda thing. I know there's some ghost notes but they'll disappear as I improve with the technique I guess.

Quote:

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #47
jpaolilli

Hey Mephaphil, definitely an improvement! I look at it like this, as long as you keep improving you'll develop a sense of what you are looking for in terms of vibrato. For a lot of players, I would say try to hear in your head what you want your vibrato to sound like before you hit the note. A lot of players have been mentioned, and they are all good; but shoot for your vibrato to be consistent, and even. Here's a video I did a while back on bending and vibrato, it gives a few exercises I use daily.

jpaolilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #48
RyanStorm13

Put some body into man...stand up and move your body and arm along with your your bending and it will show up in your sound.

Cause when your standing moving your shoulders and elbow moves the guitar, which shows up in the sound.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #49
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Good work so far I think. Your best attempts on vibrato where at 0:08 and 0:30 imo. I didnīt like the ones where you start without vibrato and slowly increase it. For those you want less amplitude I think.
I noticed that you rarely chose to change note from a bent string without releasing it first. Do it more! Good example would be the lickin your second video of the first ones you posted.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #50
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Ok cool. I'm just trying to give examples that show an improvement as opposed to licks that sound great.

I want you to be able to see me doing the technique and then tell me if I'm on the right track.

I'll keep practicing.

Quote:

Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #51
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

It's definitely improving, just keep at it.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #52
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Thanks. While I know that it's definitely gonna take a while before I'm good at it, it's already more or less natural. I find myself using my wrist and not my fingers.

I think because I had to do that technique to get any kind of vibrato lower down the neck it's not like I've had to start from scratch,

Maybe I'll post an update in a month.

Quote:

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #53
wyldelife

Well, some months have gone by, how are you doing in regards to the practicing?
Line 6 Pocket Pod
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: