Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
MajesticFreak

Looking to buy a guitar for metal

I'm a beginner when it comes to playing guitar. Only been playing acoustic for 2 weeks after 2 years of owning it since I never had the time nor patience until now. It's boring but I'm sticking with it till I get an electric.

My budget is $1000 but could do a little more and I can buy used but I got no one to double check to make sure I'm not getting ripped of that's if I buy from Craigslist.

The sounds and rhythm I'm going for is Cerebral Bore, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Graves of Valor, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Gorefest, The Black Dahlia Murder, Arch Enemy.

I recently checked out a Charvel Desolation DS-1 with blackouts and LTD series guitar with EMG pickups. Both were being ran through a Fender Mustang III 100W and multiple presets. Don't know if that amp by itself is gonna get me the sound I'm looking for but the Charvel guitar itself mainly on the neck had that smooth wood finish feel. I think that's what you call a "fast neck." Anyways I liked the charvel but still I'm still looking around with brands like ESP, Ibanez and Schecter. As far as selection goes on an ISLAND it seems pretty limited but I have yet to explore other shops.

Much help is appreciated!!!
MajesticFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

If you have only been playing for 2 weeks, I wouldn't just dump a bunch of money into it, but I also would not go super cheap either. Electric guitar is just as borring to learn as acoustic is .

You have the right idea of trying out diffrent guitars to see what you like better. pick the one you are happy with. Now when it comes to amps, your best bet is probably the Peavey Vypyr 30.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
DarthV

If you don't already own an amp, I'd look at getting a nice mid priced guitar and a decent amp. The peavey vypyr 30 (or even better the 60) is a great starter amp for someone into metal.

As for guitars, any of those brands you listed will have pretty decent guitars at your price range. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I'm a huge Ibanez fan and for your budget a used RGA121 Prestige for around $500-600 would be awesome. My advice would be to head to music shops with pen & paper, try out every guitar you can, take notes and then decide.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
MaaZeus

If you are just starting out you may not need particularly expensive guitar, just get one with good price/performance ratio and have it set up with luthier. Avoid cheap ones and particularly starter kit ones, and also avoid ones with tremolo. In cheaper guitars they are pieces of shit that wont stay in tune and you wont need one anyway until you have practiced a year or two and learned few solos, and if solos are your thing in the first place. Fixed bridge all the way. Easy to change tunings and strings.

That said, you want metal guitar with fast neck (I read that as relatively thin neck). This tells me you may like Jacksons and Ibanez. Jackson carries all your typical metal guitar shapes, V's, Rhoads V's, Explorers etc... Ibanez has a fetish with Superstrats and carries very few stereotypical metal shapes. (Xiphos is the first and only one that comes to mind)

Since this is your first electric guitar check out anything from Jackson JS32T (fixed bridge) serie and see which shape is to your liking. Or from Ibanez try the RGxxxx serie.

Amp is already recommended. Hard to beat Peavey Vypyrs as far as versatility is concerned. A modeling amp that mimics a lot of popular metal amps and some effects, and does so really well.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 02-04-2013 at 10:32 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
omertaxtasy

For metal, the meanest machine I've ever come across is the Epi Zakk Wylde Bullseye LP - Ultrafat Tone, Killzone distortion, Raw tone, Graphics to die for - EMG 81/85 Actives.

The second choice could be a Jackson Dinky - Maple Neck.

BUT I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU TO GET THE EPIPHONE!

IT WON'T LET YOU DOWN.
omertaxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
J_W

I'd personally stay away from any signature models, you're paying for a name on the guitar. Most of the time you can get the same thing minus the name for a lot less.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

EDIT: I misread the OP.

It looks like you'll want a 7 string (at least) if you really want to play in all of those styles at once.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
bobafettacheese

Just thinking but, Ibanez Destroyer and Iceman come to mind as well. I love the Iceman shape. I'm sure there are other models out there as well, but those are some that came to mind as well as the Xiphos.
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

You can get a lot of really cool guitars (especially used) for under $400. A Vyper 60 (tube) comes to mind for a variety of cool metal and rock tones (some cleans too).

Try to be sure it's got a 12" speaker, no matter what you buy.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
tybacca60

Used Rga121 or Ec-1000 and a used peavey 6505/5150 combo.Could be had for around 1000$ for whole deal.
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
MajesticFreak

Can't find a used ESP 1000 or Ibanez RG series. Tried a schecter papa roach signature guitar. I liked the feel but I'm not into signature series guitars. It's originally priced 1k but is one sale for $700. I saw some jacksons but they all had whammy bars, no fixed bridges and quite expensive.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

For Jacksons, if the model name ends with "T" it means it doesn't have a tremolo system (its a fixed bridge). Ex: DK2 has a tremolo, DK2T has a fixed bridge.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
For Jacksons, if the model name ends with "T" it means it doesn't have a tremolo system (its a fixed bridge). Ex: DK2 has a tremolo, DK2T has a fixed bridge.

The WHA?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #14
MajesticFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum

I'll double check that next time. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
omidmash

Ibanez RG or S series (a 7 string) + a Pod should do you good imo..
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Akherousia

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend diving into your budget too deeply. Some companies offer relatively cheap models with surprisingly good quality for the price, and those would be the companies I'd recommend looking into. The Ibanez RG and SA series are good examples. My first 'real' guitar was an Epiphone and I feel that's a great place to start, as well - they come relatively cheap but you get fair quality. Additionally, I'm a total Schecter fanboy and highly recommend giving them a look - great quality for relatively cheap.

I'd personally advise against the JS' people are recommending, they feel like the bottom of the barrel to me (owned a JS30RR myself) and shouldn't really be the burden of anyone - even if you are a beginner. But that's just me, I just feel that it's better to have something that treads the middle ground when you're just starting out rather than a guitar that's either too good for you or not good enough.

That being said, I'd recommend investing some of your cash into a cheap recording setup. Something like a Line 6 Pod would do you well. The reason I'm saying this is because you can utilize it as a tool to explore different tones but most importantly familiarize yourself with composing as soon as possible. You can experiment with a lot of different ideas and actually learn to apply new things you're learning into a musical context. Using a recording tool to assist you with your writing can be very valuable if used properly, and it can pay for itself down the road when/if you want to make half-decent recordings of yourself or your band for cheap.

Just my two cents, though.
Try out a bunch of guitars within the 100-700 price range and see what feels and best to you! And at least give the Pod idea some thought, it can only help in the end.
Akherousia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Bazz22

Don't spend too much money, this is your first guitar.

Get a decent guitar, a good amp, and take it slow.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I think for your first guitar the amp is actually more important than the guitar. My first guitar was a super-budget Lyon by Washburn, I think the only thing cheaper in the store was a Squier.

But I told the guy in the music store I wanted to play metal and he recommended a 60W (I think that's what it was, I don't have it anymore) Crate amp which made a huge difference.

I had a lot of friends who started around the same time and they all had cheap amps which I always thought sounded really tinny and crappy.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
MajesticFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akherousia
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend diving into your budget too deeply. Some companies offer relatively cheap models with surprisingly good quality for the price, and those would be the companies I'd recommend looking into. The Ibanez RG and SA series are good examples. My first 'real' guitar was an Epiphone and I feel that's a great place to start, as well - they come relatively cheap but you get fair quality. Additionally, I'm a total Schecter fanboy and highly recommend giving them a look - great quality for relatively cheap.

I'd personally advise against the JS' people are recommending, they feel like the bottom of the barrel to me (owned a JS30RR myself) and shouldn't really be the burden of anyone - even if you are a beginner. But that's just me, I just feel that it's better to have something that treads the middle ground when you're just starting out rather than a guitar that's either too good for you or not good enough.

That being said, I'd recommend investing some of your cash into a cheap recording setup. Something like a Line 6 Pod would do you well. The reason I'm saying this is because you can utilize it as a tool to explore different tones but most importantly familiarize yourself with composing as soon as possible. You can experiment with a lot of different ideas and actually learn to apply new things you're learning into a musical context. Using a recording tool to assist you with your writing can be very valuable if used properly, and it can pay for itself down the road when/if you want to make half-decent recordings of yourself or your band for cheap.

Just my two cents, though.
Try out a bunch of guitars within the 100-700 price range and see what feels and best to you! And at least give the Pod idea some thought, it can only help in the end.

what is cheap in the new and used categories as for pricing? so far im eyeballing a EC401, EC500 and an EC1000 new but if I can find used I'll consider. In hawaii there isn't much schecter selection nor Ibanez so far. If I can't find a solid guitar I'll buy online. Any recommendations to buying used gear online with a decent warranty? And what Line 6 POD model you were referring to?

Rate This Thread: