Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #41
wolflen

somewhere in the book chord chemistry..ted greene does an analysis on a song he arranged..now there is a chord in the progression that "doesn't belong" to the key of the song..ted says .. he experimented and this chord sounded good..ted rarely used the term mode..and for good reason..he stressed creativity/experiment over written theory rules..and found little wrong with chord progression that don't follow rules if they sound good..

ernest toch in his book "the shaping forces in music" says the same thing but in a more classical setting..with examples of the classical masters..

not to say ted didn't follow theory rules...he did indeed..he just knew they are not absolute..

play well

wolf

Last edited by wolflen : 01-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #42
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf

an extreme example, perhaps, but the point still stands - anybody can edit wikipedia. if i went there right now and edited out all of the instances of the word "mode mixture", it would go largely unnoticed.

Let's try an experiment. Go do it. See how long it stands.

I'm betting less than 24 hours.

Wikipedia has it's flaws, but by its very nature is continuously self-correcting, contrary to your inference.

As to the OP, damned if I know. I generally come here to lurk, learn and amuse myself by reading the mode arguments...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #43
白い雲

Go away, stop derailing my thread! lol
白い雲 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflen
somewhere in the book chord chemistry..ted greene does an analysis on a song he arranged..now there is a chord in the progression that "doesn't belong" to the key of the song..ted says .. he experimented and this chord sounded good..ted rarely used the term mode..and for good reason..he stressed creativity/experiment over written theory rules..and found little wrong with chord progression that don't follow rules if they sound good..

ernest toch in his book "the shaping forces in music" says the same thing but in a more classical setting..with examples of the classical masters..

not to say ted didn't follow theory rules...he did indeed..he just knew they are not absolute..

play well

wolf

Just curious, what are the theory rules you're talking about?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #45
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

Perhaps general counterpoint and general harmonic function rules?

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
白い雲

wolflen made a mistake, he broke the rule that you're not allowed to say "rules" when talking about theory
白い雲 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #47
wolflen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Just curious, what are the theory rules you're talking about?

the usual suspects...

rule 1: there are no rules

rule 2: forget rule one
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #48
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflen

play well

wolf

I've been listening to some Howard Roberts recently, amazing jazz player.

He says that through thematic development, anything will work over anything. Through voice leading any chord will go to any chord.
Quote:
the usual suspects...

rule 1: there are no rules

rule 2: forget rule one

I love this. Thank you.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: