Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
shredzilla19

7 string guitar tuning

Hi guys.
I'm a heavy metal guitarist and after weeks of trying to find a 2nd 7 string to add to my collection i have been unable to find one that give me what i want, so i decided to make a 7 string guitar. I'm basing the body around the ibanez xf350 made out of mahogany with a fixed ibanez edge 3 bridge, dimarzio blaze custom 7 pick ups in the bridge and d'activator 7 in the neck, with a metalic blue finish and blood red edging. The neck is based around the ibanez x700 made out of walnut and ebony fretboard, 27" scale with 27 frets with gold lightning bolt inlays with my first name on the 12th fret and last name on the 24th in blood red.
My first question is how do you think it'll look and sound?
But the main reason i'm posting this blog is because of the tuning. My current 7 string is in standard B,E,A,D,G,B,E and when playing and writing i take full advantage of all 7 string not just the bottom three like most players i know. So for my new one i orignally thought of tuning it a full step down A,D,G,C,F,A,D because i love jamming in D tuning, but then it occurred to instead of having the 7th in A maybe put it in D a full octave below the 6th string and use it as a bass to add an extra bit of beef to my breakdowns and other heavy riffs and keep the most part of the material on the top 6 strings.
So to sum up my 2nd question would be, would that work, having a 7 string tuned to D,D,G,C,F,A,D?
shredzilla19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I mean, any tuning WORKS, but... why?

I'd die without that Low A or Low G. I'd feel like I'm not using a 7 the way it's meant. But that's just me.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
shredhead~

What about having an extra string from a bass guitar?
shredhead~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Well, you'd need a thick string for your LOW D. Like >80.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
shredzilla19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead~
What about having an extra string from a bass guitar?

That's what I was thinking of doing making it as a D tuned 6 string with a added bass string effectively just for heavier breakdowns etc etc but just wanted some outside opinions.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
colin616

How about Devin Townsend's open C -GCGCGCE?
colin616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

It would sound like shite. Your pickups could handle a low G, then everything lower would turn into a flubby mess of bass and 'clang' and 'ping' sounds as your string smacks all the frets. Your low string will sound awful, and it will be awful to play. The octave dropping thing works on a 6 string, cuz it adds massive range, but on a 7 its silly, you're already playing in bass guitar frequencies, no need to go lower.

Also, the extra thick string you'll need wont fit in the nut and will **** up your bridge stability. No one really cares if your riffs are in Drop Q or something. If you want it that low, should've bought an 8 string, an instrument that can handle these problems.

Quote:
i take full advantage of all 7 string not just the bottom three like most players i know.

Quote:
having a 7 string tuned to D,D,G,C,F,A,D

That's some nice cognitive dissonance you're setting yourself up for.

They way it looks: I personally like the original Xiphos shape, its a bit much but it's still very playable. I dont like the XF350, its like a cartoonified version of the BCRich Stealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Charlie Hunter- awesome jazz guitarist- uses custom 7 or 8 strings that have the high 5 end strings tuned like a guitar and the lower strings tuned like a bass. He sounds great.

The luthier Wes Lambe builds guitars like that, though I'm not sure he did any of Charlie's guitars.

http://www.wlguitars.com/8stringelectric

If you look carefully, you'll note he does not use special 7 or 8 string pickups. Instead, he uses standard pickups he likes and offsets them.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
shredzilla19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Charlie Hunter- awesome jazz guitarist- uses custom 7 or 8 strings that have the high 5 end strings tuned like a guitar and the lower strings tuned like a bass. He sounds great.

The luthier Wes Lambe builds guitars like that, though I'm not sure he did any of Charlie's guitars.

http://www.wlguitars.com/8stringelectric

If you look carefully, you'll note he does not use special 7 or 8 string pickups. Instead, he uses standard pickups he likes and offsets them.

They do look pretty cool to be fair, but would it work with 6 guitar strings and one bass but most importantly would it work for metal.
On my current 7 sting most my song are in the key of B, D or E so I'm using the low 3-4 strings for riffing and the rest for solos and lead riff etc etc. That why I'm just trying to figure out whether to go with tradition and have the 7 in A or try something new.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I don't think converting a standard 6 string to a 5+1 would be practical: the stock nut, bridge & tuners couldn't handle a string thick enough to to that duty at typical scale lengths. You might need custom hardware.

As for the question of whether it would work for metal- that would depend on the kind of metal and whether the guy with that axe is primarily playing leads or rhythms. As was written on that site, he tends to make those guitars with 19 frets, since its tough to do bass lines and shred simultaneously.

Could it be done? Possibly. Charlie Hunter plays some blazingly fast passages, but he doesn't play like that for long stretches, and even he describes his playstyle as "challenging."

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
rockstar256

You need elevator cables for that tuning, my friend once used tram rails when played djent. But then tram didnt come up and i had to take bus?
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar256
You need elevator cables for that tuning, my friend once used tram rails when played djent. But then tram didnt come up and i had to take bus?

This has honestly been the most productive thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: