Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
twistedshifter

Best pedal for metal

After doing hours of research and looking through countless threads on countless websites (and by that I do not, in anyway, mean like 2 hours and like 5 websites) for the best pedal for me, I have decided to start my own thread. I need a pedal for metal. I don't mean anything hard like death or black metal, I mean something like symphonic or power metal. I was given a Boss Metalcore as a gift a while back and I have been using it ever since. It's too much. I have the distortion turned down almost all the way. Most of the threads I have looked at say the Metal Muff is fantastic, but others disagree. Everyone pretty much has their own opinion, but everyone seems to hate the Metalcore. I don't really have much money to spend. I would prefer to not spend over $100. I play out of a 100w Marshall Solidstate amp. Does anyone have any suggestions for pedals? Thanks.
twistedshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
JoePerry4life

To be honest a pedal won't get you far. If you want a better metal tone, sell your amp, save your money and buy an high gain amp. A 6505+ combo is 599, and much better than any pedal even if the combo versions falls short of the head.
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
JoePerry4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Metalcore is :poop:.

Metal pedal under 100$? Maybe Marshall Jackhammer, I heard it can nail some less-extreme metal tones.
Otherwise, for power metal I suppose you need some huge, strong guitar tone. Try Boss Power Stack, maybe that's what you're looking for.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

My suggestion is that you sell your MG and get a better amp. With the $100 for a pedal and the money you get out of the Marshall, you can probably get a decent tube amp for what you want.

If you want a more Marshall sound for your Power Metal, you can get a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 for $400-$500 used all day long. It's a great amp.

In addition, you could find a Peavey Ultra for around $300 - $400 used if you look around and are willing to wait.

Both of those would do fine for Power Metal. If you want the more standard, generic sound, you would have to go more expensive and do soemthing like a Mesa Tremoverb, which will be more like $800 - $900.

At the end of the day, though, would you rather have a half-assed sound from a pedal and crappy amp that you'll have to upgrade again later, or would you rather have a great amp that will give you the tones that you want right out of the box and last you much longer?

If you take your time and save up money, you can get much more for what you're spending and be much happier with your purchase.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
twistedshifter

Thanks but I still don't really know what I will do. A lot of people say the Marshall 8100 (the one I have) is great for metal, but others say it sucks and the JCM is the way to go. I might just get a cheap overdrive pedal for now and use it with the distortion on my amp. Is that a good idea?

Other than the JCM, are there another cheap high gain heads? I could maybe spend $700 at absolute most. Is it socially acceptable to have a different head on a Marshall cab? Also, should I put another pedal (like overdrive) on top of the amp's distortion, or should I just rely on the amp's distortion? Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Save your money and save up for a good head. A good head wont require a boost trust me. Look into used peaveys. Ultra, XXX, 5150, JSX, 6505, they could all work. It doesnt matter what head you use with what cab, good tone is good tone no matter if the brand names dont match. You can get a used peavey tube head for $700 or under
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
twistedshifter

Thanks for all the help. I found a nice Peavey Ultra Plus for $300. I'll probably buy that and sell most of my pedals.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedshifter
Is it socially acceptable to have a different head on a Marshall cab?

Metal + socially acceptable?

What? ?????!

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
TremontiAddict

Most good pedals sound best through a nice tube amp anyways. I'd focus on upgrading that first.
TremontiAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Ian_the_fox
Banned

This amp?:

Why do you need a pedal again?

Oh, and this is also a Valvestate 8100:

Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

The Peavey Ultra should work great for you. You shouldn't need an overdrive, but if you decide you want your amp to sound a little tighter with a bit more output, you can put an overdrive in front of it as a boost. Set the level at maximum, the drive/gain at minimum, and the tone to taste. As clarification, that's only going to work with tube amps, not solid state.

If you try the ultra and don't like it as much as you hoped, look for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL100

Don't get a 5150 or 6505. I wouldn't buy either of those for Power Metal. An EVH 5150 III would work, but that's going to be out of your budget. The 50w version is about 600 - 800 used.

Make sure you try the Ultra with your cabinet and your guitar before you buy it.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
This amp?:

Why do you need a pedal again?

Oh, and this is also a Valvestate 8100:

Wow that actually sounds pretty damn good.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>JOYO VOD=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
twistedshifter

How do I get a sound like that? It seems like no matter what I do, it just sounds a little off. It's like the low end isn't gainy enough but then when I play solos and stuff up higher, it sounds too trebly. If I turn the treble down or turn the bass up, it sounds even worse and kind of muddy. I pretty much have no idea how the contour thing works. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Contour is the opposite of mids.

Higher dial = more scoop
Lower dial = flatter mids
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>JOYO VOD=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
tsg31t

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedshifter
Thanks but I still don't really know what I will do. A lot of people say the Marshall 8100 (the one I have) is great for metal, but others say it sucks and the JCM is the way to go. I might just get a cheap overdrive pedal for now and use it with the distortion on my amp. Is that a good idea?

Other than the JCM, are there another cheap high gain heads? I could maybe spend $700 at absolute most. Is it socially acceptable to have a different head on a Marshall cab? Also, should I put another pedal (like overdrive) on top of the amp's distortion, or should I just rely on the amp's distortion? Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks guys.

Get on Ebay - Peavey 6505 or 6505+ going for around $550-$650 on there...Just got one for myself...Super happy with the 6505+
tsg31t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
diabolical

Pedal for metal - I won't suggest any of the cheap stuff as it sounds awful.

I've been very happy with H&K Tubeman:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/...nertubeman2.htm

or Blackstar HT-Dual:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/...tar_ht_dual.htm

Love both pedals. I think Blackstar also makes that pedal in a single channel format which is just the dirty channel.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
emerald876

You should be able to get an AMAZING sound out of that amp, Chuck Schuldiner from Death used a Valvestate 8100.
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
emerald876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
diabolical

The VS8100 works great with Marshall's own overdrive - the Guv'nor or the Jackhammer are killer with that amp. I have that amp and if you want to get ridiculously aggressive sound (think Slayer, Death) the Jaclhammer set on the overdrive setting did the trick rather nicely.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

The valvestate 8100 is a good amp as shown in the demo above, maybe a modulation or eq pedal might be what you should be looking for at the $100 range.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: