Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
brittauzenne

any tips on learning scales?

hello all- so, this question is for someone who is above my skill level. I'm at the point in my playing where I want to transition from a less sophisticated style to a more complex one. I already know what I want to do, thanks to my intuition, but I have a question- what do i need to know when learning scales? I want to play electric lady land by hendrix. maybe i should try to pick that up? or should i take a more formal approach?
brittauzenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
bondmorkret

When practicing scales you need to practice a lot more than just their ascending and descending form. Try sequencing various patterns right through the scale (for example: ascend 3 notes, go back two, repeat, etc).

Also, it's very important to learn lots of different ways to play the same scales, so you can combine them to cover the fretboard, try learning scales starting from each individual finger
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Dreamdancer11

With scales(as with anything really) it is more important to clearly have them in your head.I mean even your grandma probably can sing the nto re mi fa so la si nto of the major scale.Almost everyone knows it.But can you do it for example using the dorian mode? can you sing a minor triad if i give you the rootMy suggestion is that you play your scales on one string and try to sing before you play the note.

You can learn all the patterns and scales in the known universe but unless you can clearly hear and eventually sing the scale you dont really know it or its sound.If you practise your scales that way singing the notes while your fingers move on the fretboard your mind makes the connection subconsiously.Is it super easy? no but it is what you are aiming for eventually .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 02-09-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
SimonJames

1.Only learn scales that you NEED to know
2. Start playing them slowly
3. Take care that you have organised any awkward finger positioning
4. Gradually speed up
SimonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

listen.

Scales aren't just something to learn to play on your guitar, they're something to understand. If you're just looking for something to do with your fingers then you'd be far better off drilling some arpeggios or learning some songs.

If you want to understand more about music then scales will be part of that, but far beyond the shapes and patterns what matters most is the sounds within that scale , the structure and construction of the scale and the notes it contains.

The physical aspects of the scale, shapes, patterns positions are incidental - a mere quirk of the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Sickz
Jazz Musician

In my opinion there are a few things that will help you learn scales.

1) Theory & knowing the notes on the fretboard. What i mean by this is knowing that for example C major and G major share 6 of 7 notes, the one note that is different is F, wich is raised to an F# in G major. Knowing the circle of fifths/fourths and which notes are sharpened/flattened and in what order will benefit you alot. This together with knowing all the notes on the fretboard perfectly.

2) Sound. Learn how scales sound. How does a major scale sound? A minor scale? A melodic minor? Harmonic minor? You need to start make the connection of this sound = this scale/intervall. Just learning patterns is a waste of time.

3) This one is purely opinion based, but i'd say look at scales from a chord perspective. That would be the caged system. Learning to play, say c major, within the "chord shapes" of C, A, G, E and D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
brittauzenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
listen.

Scales aren't just something to learn to play on your guitar, they're something to understand. If you're just looking for something to do with your fingers then you'd be far better off drilling some arpeggios or learning some songs.

If you want to understand more about music then scales will be part of that, but far beyond the shapes and patterns what matters most is the sounds within that scale , the structure and construction of the scale and the notes it contains.

The physical aspects of the scale, shapes, patterns positions are incidental - a mere quirk of the guitar.

Well Im trying to up my playing, and Im thinking that scales are the next step. But youre right, I dont really want to learn it just for the heck of it, as I only want to learn scales only if its going to help me play what Im trying to play. I want to be able to learn more complex pieces , you know like free standing blues riffs or something inspired by hendrix or whoever but im trying to figure out how to go from one level to the next.
brittauzenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
cdgraves

Learn all 12 major scales in 3-note per string patterns.

Don't look up "How do I play C major" - look up the basic major scale pattern and start building them on your own. Sit down with pen and paper and write out the notes in all 12 scales. Then, practice them (in the 3 note per string pattern) from the lowest possible scale note to the highest. That means starting on low E or F, even if they aren't the root of the scale, and playing up to the 21st or 22nd fret, then turning around and coming back down. Use your metronome and play slow quarter notes while saying/singing the note names out loud.

This will take a while the first few times you do it, but within a week or two you should be able to play through all 12 scales on quarter notes. Once you've got them right and you can play them start to finish without stopping, treat them as a technical exercise with rhythm changes, different patterns, etc.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Here, I'm gonna tab some KFK

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

This all on the low E played as fast as you can and its thrash.
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: